Sign in to follow this  
Guest sj3

What to improve?

Guest sj3

Good morning. I got a new pc last September mostly due to FS9 but I also do work with it. Non-FS applications include: internet surfing, binary downloading from newsgroups, MS-OfficeXP applications (especially MSProject), Combat Flight Sim, and Need for Speed HP2. Before I start FS, I blankout my desktop background, disable screensaver and run end-it-all2.Today, my PC is setup as follows and I am looking for opinions on what to improve. I'm only seeing frame rates in the low 20's and high teens from 2d cockpit view and usually less from spot view. Generally, this is independent of what plane I'm flying. I'm set up at 6xAA/16xAF from ATI's control panel. AI traffic is pretty low at 10%. Detail sliders are mostly all max'ed out. MIP Mapping is at 4 and h/w lights at 7. Resolution at 1600x1200x32 full-screen. I'm not seeing very many stutters but am not that happy with my frame rates and the 2 sec. delay in painting the outside of my PMDG 737NG. Here's the current set up followed by some ideas to improve. I'm extremely interested in anyone's thoughts on anything I didn't consider and whether my ideas will actually help. Thanks so much in advance.FS Addon's----------PMDG 737NGCaptain Sim 727RealAir C172FSGenesis 38m mesh for all of US and 9.6m for a few areasFSUIPC (registered/paid)MegaScenery New York area (coming soon, I hope!)Hardware (from MPC)-------------------P4 3.2GhzIntel 875PBZ mobo, 800FSB512x2 (1Gb) PC3200/DDR400 memory, matched (not sure of brand but CL3)Maxtor 120Gb HD, 8Mb cache, 7200 RPMSB Audigy2ATI 9800Pro, 256Mb, Cat. 3.9 drivers300W no-name Power SupplyMitsubishi DiamondPro 2020u 21" CRTSaitek x45 stick/throttleWinXP Pro up-to-date (without MS .Net framework)Norton Systemworks 2003Ideas for Improvement---------------------ATI 9800XT (256Mb)Western Digital 74Gb Raptor HD (only for FS)Corsair (or other) memory with better CAS Latency (e.g. CL2)Antec True480P power supplyAnything else I can do? Thanks so very much.sjKEWR

Guest ChkSix

SJ,I wouldn't change anything. Your computer is fast enough to get you through until the major changes come in the summer next year. For one, the 9800XT is only a fractional change in frequencies over a 9800..you can accomplish this on your own through overclocking. The WD Raptor's 10,000 rpm will increase load times over your maxtor, but again not enough to justify the additional money spent. If you haven't overclocked your cpu, spending additional money on lower latency ram again is something to ponder with new ram six months away. The only thing I would change is the PSU. That can last you well beyond this computer and definitely something to consider since you have a generic 300W. I would go for a 550W PC Power and Cooling PSU, they are much better than Antec (Antec is good don't get me wrong). A little expensive, but well worth the additional money spent. To see improvements in FS, try lowering the screen resolution to 1280x960 and run it in a full maximized window as opposed to fullscreen. Try the Ati drivers from www.omegacorner.com . They are my personal favorite for my 9800pro. Do you know how to tweak the FS config? If you do not, let me know. I can help you see at least a small performance gain. BTW, I can watch planes coming into KEWR from my rooftop in Brooklyn. La Guardia 4 approach goes over my house, and I can see Newark's arrivals and deptartures as I look past lady liberty in the East River. Happy Holidays!MikeP4 2.4C @3.44 285FSBAsus P4C800 Deluxe1gb Corsair XMS PC3500 Asus V9950 FX5900 Ultra 256mb 500/950SB Audigy2 Platinum ExWatercooled baby!!!Pics: http://community.webshots.com/user/chksix2002

Guest sj3

Mike: Thanks a million for the feedback. Re: my PSU, I was under the impression that a very nice PSU would make a system last longer but didn't think it would/could impact FPS. I'm not having any stability problems at all. Also, I'm slightly confused of the effect of HD speed on FPS. I know it would improve application launch times and also the load time for FS to start a flight. This is reputed to be as much as a 30% improvement but I am not sure if it (a Raptor) will have any affect on FPS. Thanks for the heads-up on memory...I will wait for that but did want to have a 2nd HD in my system to avoid the need for frequest defrags.I do know how to edit my FS9.cfg. I even know where to find the thing, which puts me ahead of many people here!:). What params are you suggesting I muck with? I understand what you're recommending re: resolution, but the CS727 and PMDG's 737NG cockpits are specifically designed for easy readability at 1600x1200 and I was hoping not to lose that. I really thought my FPS should have been better than it is especially since I could not give a hoot about other planes in the sky...just me! I.e. AI traffic down very low.I live very near Parsippany. I miss being on a pattern since when I lived in northern VA, I was right in the middle of KIAD traffic, which was nice.sjKEWR