Sign in to follow this  
Guest GamePlayer

Some issues in FS2004 with my 6800 Ultra

Guest GamePlayer

I have a PNY 6800 Ultra video card. First of all, when I press Alt for the first time when I run FS2004 antialising turns off and I then I press Alt again and antialising turns back on. Same thing happens when I let FS2004 control antialising. There were times when antialising disabled even after pressing Alt a second time. Another problem, maybe not a problem, but I don't get the amount of performance increase over my 9800 Pro like shown in the review at tomshardare.com. At 4x FSAA, 8x AF, 1600x1200 under overcast clouds I get 10 fps on the 9800 Pro and 16 fps on the 6800 Ultra. Another weird thing is that if I use Chris's clouds my 9800 Pro beats my 6800 Ultra. For example, 22 fps on my 6800 Ultra and 25 fps on my 9800 Pro at 1600x1200, 4x FSAA, 8x AF. I tried the same drivers as the review in tomshardware and I still get the same performance. How is it that the review shows over twice the frame rate with the 6800U over the 9800 Pro in FS2004? Here is the link to the review: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/2..._charts-09.html.

Guest GamePlayer

Correction: I didn't use the same driver as in the review. I used the 65.76.

You know I have a 9800PRO & I get that same FSAA problem as you. It's been annoying the heck out of me for the past year or so. I've gone throught two different system setups since it started & two graphic cards (both ATI) yet the problem persistes. It seems to me like certain panel vs. sounds vs. aircraft models cause the problem. Sometime I find just switching from 2D cockpit view to an external view triggers the issue.I'm dissapointed to hear it's happening w/ the 6800 Ultra too as this may be my next card. If not, it'll be the X800XT PE.BTW, what's your system specs?The reason I ask is because you need a strong backbone to support the 6800 Ultra. If you have a slower processor & memory subsystem the 6800 simply won't run to it's fullest potential & may not perform all that much better than your 9800 PRO. Flight Sim has alway's been more of a CPU hog.

Guest GamePlayer

The only problem I get with the 9800 Pro while using FSAA is that some textures look like they are antialised. But I read that it is because the 9800 Pro uses multisample FSAA. My 6800 Ultra still shows jaggy texture if I use 4x or lower FSAA and I read somewhere that the 6800 Ultra using multisample FSAA at 4x and lower FSAA. With the 6800 Ultra the only way I can antialise the textures in certain aircraft such as Captain Sim's 727 Delta is by using 4xS or higher FSAA but then the performance is too slow whenever there are many clouds but I can fix that by using Chris's clouds. I'm using a P4 3GHz with 1GB PC3200 Dual Channel.

Guest GamePlayer

>The only problem I get with the 9800 Pro while using FSAA is>that some textures look like they are antialised. But I read>that it is because the 9800 Pro uses multisample FSAA. My>6800 Ultra still shows jaggy texture if I use 4x or lower FSAA>and I read somewhere that the 6800 Ultra using multisample>FSAA at 4x and lower FSAA. With the 6800 Ultra the only way I>can antialise the textures in certain aircraft such as Captain>Sim's 727 Delta is by using 4xS or higher FSAA but then the>performance is too slow whenever there are many clouds but I>can fix that by using Chris's clouds. I'm using a P4 3GHz with>1GB PC3200 Dual Channel.Correction: The only problem I get with the 9800 Pro while using FSAA is that some textures look like they are not antialised.