Sign in to follow this  
jamiee

Nvidia 7950GX2 & FS9?

I've been wandering around lately thinking that it's approaching that time again where a solid overhaul of the PC might not be such a bad thing. Now that's not to say i don't have a solid system right now, but I know me & while I don't do a ton of gaming, what I do; I play at higher resolutions & at the best graphic quality possible.My trusty old 7800GTX has been going strong for the past year or so, but I'm starting to see it's limitations with the newest of games (FSX is one that comes to mind). Of course I'll need to upgrade my processor/motherboard/and RAM as well (Providing I go with one of the new Core 2 Duo platforms).However I'd like to start with the graphics card.I have my eye on the Nvidia 7950GX2 and a local shop has the BFG card on sale this week for $100 off. It's the best price I've seen around.So I'm thinking I'd like to get one, however there's one issue that's been nagging me... Will the 7950GX2 run fully (both GPU's) with FS9?I know SLI was never supported in FS9 so does the 7950 have the same fate?The other question is if only one of the GPU's run in FS9, how is the performance. Would it still be better than a single 7800GTX?I've looked around for benchmarks of this card using FS9 but can't seem to find any :( (not overly surprised though)If anyone has any thought's, I'd love to hear them.Cheers.BTW, here's my current system specs:-----------OS =..........WinXP PROPSU =.........OCZ PowerStream 600WMotherboard =.ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Rev. 1.02Processor =...AMD Athlon64 X2 4400+ (939 pin)Memory =......OCZ PC3200 1024Mb x 2 (2Gb) Rev. 2 "EL Platinum"Video Card =..BFG GF7800GTX OCSATA-2 HD =...WD 320Gb x 4 (1,280Gb Total)DVD-R/RW =....Pioneer DVR-108Floppy =......Fujitsu 1.44 floppy/7-in-1 media card readerSound Card =..M-Audio Delta 1010Monitor =.....Samsung SyncMaster 213T LCD 21.3"Case =........Cooler Master CAV-T01 w/ Window----------- http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg

Guest navav2002

Hiya...I have a 4000+/7800GTX system as well as the one in my sig..(well I've actually just switched it to a 4800x2 but same performance)...Anyhow...The FX-57 system with the GX2 show's no real *substantial* performance difference over the 4800x2/7800GTX combo...Image Quality is comprable at 1600x1200 which is what I use...The FX system is a tad "snapier feeling" if that makes any sense?? Before I switched to the 4800 I was running the 4000+ OC to 2.8...That "Snappy" difference was minimal...I have yet to OC the 4800...Overall I would say..Don't expect a World of difference with your proposed swap...It will be very slight...In my opinion, SLI appears to be no benifit in FS9...Some other comments..Not sure if you run a single monitor or multimonitor?? SLI will not support multi monitor set-ups...(The GX2 is an SLI configuration as you well know)..I have had no *Problems* with it...But again I see no real benifit either...There once was some concern with running FS9 on an SLI rig..I saw posts with horriable image tearing ect...However I think that wound up being driver issues rather than SLI?? Not for sure on that..Reguardless..I'm not having any of that trouble with my GX2 and FS9...I'm a little sketchy on what I'm about to say(I only run a single monitor)...I believe that the drivers will support multimonitors on the GX2?? However you will not be running in SLI...I read all about this..but now I forget the details since it really didn't apply to my situation...My main point is...If your running multimonitors you may wish to study about their compatability with the GX2's..Sorry..My memory stinks..he heThe GX2 is a fine videocard...I definatly don't want to talk you out of getting one if that is what you want!! I just don't want you to expect a Super Tremendous Difference and wind up being disapointed...You may benifit in other programs?? I wouldn't be able to comment as FS9 is all I run...The GX2 will not be a DX10 compatable videocard...Just so you know...If that is an issue?? It wasn't for me personally...I feel that it will do a great job in FSX while on XP...I wasnt gonna switch to Vista until DX10 comes into the picture...So, Later on when Vista/DX10/FSX all get the bugs worked out I will get a new DX10 card(and probably a Core 2 Extreme as well)...That is my plan anyhow...Edit:I may wind up pulling the GX2 out of the FX-57 system and trying it out in the 4800x2...If you would like to hear those results just let me know and I'll post back...Hope this helps??

Chuck,Your results are what I suspected. Because the 7950GX2 in effect works under SLI, there'd be no real performance gains to FS9.Have you tired the new FSX beta, and if so what's your results there?In either case I think it might actually be better to go with the platform update first & leave the graphics card till further down the road (maybe till the Dx10 cards are out).Don't bother pulling the 7950GX2 out of your FX57 system on my account Chuck. But if you were gonna do it anyway, then I'd love to hear the results. I'm sure it'll be similar as FS9 doesn't take advantage of dual core processors either. (Any word on whether FSX will?).CheersJamiehttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/747400.jpg