Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pilot533

PC crashes in fsx

Guest Pilot533

My pc passes 12 orthos and 15 hours in memtest. But every time I load the lds 767 in dfw the pc crashes after 5 mins. Please help me, these problems after problems with hardware are really turning me off to pc flying. Thank god im flying for real tomorrow!

Guest baksteen33

Hi Mike, sorry to hear. Crashes after a couple of minutes are often heat related. Second thought in your case, maybe the GPU drivers? I say GPU because the basic system RAM/CPU seems stable. So, something 3D but what? Any extra fans in the case? Specially, are the mainboard chipsets sufficiently cooled? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest Pilot533

Yes I believe they are, im using the stock chipset fan, re-applied tim to the mosfets and chipset recently. The gpu is not overclocked at all.

Guest baksteen33

Ok, what kind of crashes? Blue screen, freezes? Rgds Jaap

Guest Pilot533

The sound makes a weird stuttering noise and then the pc will just reboot. Thanks for the help.

Guest baksteen33

Hi Mike, welcome. Sound hisses etc are an indication your chipsets are overheating. Alternatively and seen your overclock, maybe you need to raise their voltages one more tick? If you have a room fan and blow loads of air into the (obviously open) case, can you reproduce it? Under 'Startup and Recovery' ('System' --> 'Advanced' in the 'Control Panel'), you can suppress automatic reboots by unchecking 'Automatically reboot'. Good luck again and kind regards Jaap

Guest wayupthere

Talking about the raising Volts,Mike, with the overclock did you also add voltage to your DIMMS?@Jaap, you got my mail? not from 30Gigs.[i/]

Guest baksteen33

Hi Davissan, thanks for the pointer and no. Did you send it to my very lonely Swiss account? :-) Anyway, will check ASAP. How are your upgrades coming along? Cheers and kind regards Jaap

Guest Pilot533

Hello again davis, The NB voltage is all the way up (the nb is the spp not the mcp right?), Ive got decent case airflow, 2 fans in back 1 in front, the memory is cooled with a dominator memory fan the dimms are at 2.25v and they passed a 15 hour memtest session, so I dont think they are the problem. Can those stuttering reboots be cause by anything other than the chipset? I haven't heard of too many people having overheating issues with this board once they attach the included nb fan.

Guest Pilot533

Just did a reinstall of fsx because I had two version and was concerned things were a little sloppy, during a test run i didn't get a reboot but instead fsx crashed, the module was livingwater.dll. Then as it crashed I looked in the system tray and noticed a caution symbol, it said virtual memory was to low, I had it set to 3000mb, thought it would be enough with 2 gb of ram, but now I set it to system managed size.

Guest Pilot533

Just tried it out with system managed page file. Got the sound stutter again, this time it didn't reboot. The screen went black, and it said power saving mode, just like when it reboots, but it didn't actually reboot. When the screen went black the stuttering stopped. Could this somehow mean video card failure?

Guest baksteen33

Hi Mike, silly question :-), is your PCI-e frequency locked? Have you tried running FSX without sound? Or, what happens if you minimize the overclock? Good luck and kind regards Jaap

Guest Pilot533

Well the pcie frequency is set to 100 mhz in bios, I have not tried fsx without sound, ill try that next. If the pc is prime stable and memtest stable why would the overclock cause a problem? I also tested the psu rails with a multimeter this morning, the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v readings were all fine, so the psu is not the problem.

Guest Pilot533

Just did another test with the audio chip disabled, didnt solve the problem.

Guest baksteen33

>>If the pc is prime stable and memtest stable why would the overclock cause a problem?<< These programs don't do sound and 3D too. ;-) As far as I would dare to judge we're already narrowing the prob down to 2 components, if... Perhaps try with a lower multiplier now? If the prob goes away it was likely heat, if it pertains go even lower. It's really weird, your system looks so solid with all the cooling etc. Good luck and kind regards Jaap