Sign in to follow this  
Guest ericusc

Sony Vaio SZ650 Notebook: Should I get FS9 or FSX?

I just ordered a Sony Vaio SZ650N/C notebook computer. Unfortunately, my current work/school situation requires me to have a notebook computer instead of a desktop. The nootbook specs are as follows:Notebook Specs:http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/VGN-SZ650N/C- Core 2 Duo T7500 2.2 GHz Processor- 2 GB RAM- GeForce 8400M GS Graphic Card- Windows Vista BusinessUsage Conditions:- I'll use an external 22" widescreen LCD monitor (1680 x 1050 resolution) when I run Flight Simulator- I'll fly mostly 3rd party Boeing jets (i.e. Level-D, PMDG, etc)- I'll use Ultimate Traffic to populate the airportsQUESTIONS:Based on my Notebook Specs and Usage Conditions,1. Would you recommend that I run FS9 or FSX?2. How would FS9 performance on this machine compare with FSX performance on this machine under my specified Usage Conditions (i.e. sliders to left/middle/right for good frame rates, etc)?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Good question, Eric. I think FS9 would be easier on the machine, particularly the GPU at high resolutions. 8400s and 8600s are 'merely' 128-bit adapters and not necessarily suited for gaming. Good notebooks with adequate GPUs (for FSX) are hard to come by at reasonable prices. My recommendations in general for new systems: For FS9 (single display) 2GB RAM; almost any AMD64 X2 or Intel C2D; 256MB GPU with min 256-bit bus. For FSX: 3-4GB RAM, an overclocked* C2D ;-), 512MB or more GPU with a 256-bit or larger bus * Non OC'd, there isn't much of a difference between for example a C2D 6600 or 6000-X2. HST, this is obviously always a matter of taste. If you pull back a couple of 'GPU-squelching' elements (water i.e.), it could well be FSX runs well too. You can always try. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap