Sign in to follow this  
Alpha742

Switching a 250watt (220v) to 250watt (110v) PSU?

HI,I am currently using a UK spec computer (Viglen) in the USA with transformers. It sadly does not have multivoltage. Its an Intel 3.06Ghz, running on a 250watt PSU. My question is - can I switch, or should I say remove the UK psu and install a US psu or would this fry all the circuits etc inside. I don't want to update my system yet as it still serves me well, but with the transformers, its allot of wattage I am running. Plus the expense of a new system!Appreciate your advice.Many thanks Adam

Guest baksteen33

Hi Adam, yes, you should be able to simply swap. The only thing which might hold you back, is, if you're mainboard doesn't have standard ATX connectors. Dell mainboards for example, use home-brew connectors and hence require special PSUs. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap

Hi Jaap,Thank you for your reply! I think you just made my day. Had a quick look. I have a Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Mobo installed and has the ATX connectors. PSU is by FSP group (FSP250-60GTV).Had this thing since the 3Ghz was released (2002) but it's still ticking along nicely!Guess its time to check out Newegg. While I am picking brains here, what would you recommend as a good brand for PSU's. Just answered my own question. I see FSP PSU's on there so will probably just stick with the same, been good so far! Again many thanks for your help!With regardsAdam

Guest baksteen33

You're welcome, Adam. FSP PSUs are built into many cases. Hi-end usually have fancy names like Enermax, Seasonic, Thermaltake, etc. Plus the according price tags. :-) Had a look at your pictures, beautiful! You MUST have been almost everywhere! I was born and raised in 'City Lights'. I hope you don't mind my curiosity, but do you have a favorite country? :-) If you have a hard time with one, please feel free to name more! :-) Thanks for sharing, kind regards Jaap

Thanks Jaap,I have been fortunate enough to have seen most of the world, an amazing place and experience! I spent eight years sailing around it. Its hard to pick a favorite. Chile was beautiful as it has so many varying landscapes and climates, from the cold Fjords to the hot desserts, and probably the most friendly people I have met. Which reminds me, Easter Island (Chile) was the most fascinating place I ever got to see. But I could bore you with all the places. I guess as far as places most people don't get to see, then Kirabati, Devils Island, Pitcairn Island, The Amazon, and yes cruise ships do sail up the Amazon, all the way to Manaus - Its something I'm very glad I did. I believe our world would be a better place if more people were able to see it and experience it. Re: Hong Kong, loved it, again amazing place, always reminds me of the classic scifi film 'Blade Runner', with the lights, people and sounds, great place!Thanks againAdam

Guest baksteen33

>>I have been fortunate enough to have seen most of the world, an amazing place and experience!<< And experience, sooo true! :-) Thanks for the input, Adam. I'll put Chile on my list. Lived in Brazil for a while but we never made it across. We did drink loads of what we called Pinochet though... :-) Hope your PSU replacement works out OK. Cheers and kind regards Jaap