Sign in to follow this  
Guest STG

Dead Video - Help Needed

I tried to install a Geforce4 MX440 on my geriatric system when my old card finally died today, and when I tried to start it up, the monitor would not come out of standby while the rest of the system appeared to boot normally (no beeps from the MB or anything out of the ordinary - just the monitor not responding).I an attempt to fix the problem, I tried to reset the CMOS by unplugging the system and removing and reinstalling the battery. After I did this, the system came appeared to do the POST (keyboard and drive lights flashing) but the MB makes two beeps after the AGP port tries to turn on, the system refuses to boot and the video system still doesn't work.Note: Since the card only came with DVI and S-video inputs, I have to use the VGA-to-DVI adapter included with the card.So what could be the problem? Bad card? Bad adapter? Bad mobo? Bad PSU? A combination of the above?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.My specs (don't laugh):Intel P4 - 1.4GhzIntel D850GB mobo384MB RDRAM40GB HDD435W PSUSamtron 76V monitorWindows XP Pro SP2FS9.1

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello STG,First off welcome to the forums. With this issue, its in many cases a dead/fried mobo and/or component of it, but lets see....Your motherboard only is validated upto 4x AGP, the 440 is an 8x, so that to start off could be causing issues.What are the diagnostic leds indicating when booting up?. Are they showing Green, Amber, Green, Amber?, because that tells you of a video failure.As far as two beeps, on your board two beeps indicate a parity error, which is RAM related. Have you checked if you errors persist after removing one of you DIMMS (if having two) or removing them totally and see if you can post into the BIOS?.