Sign in to follow this  
Guest Maul

Installed on XP, play it on Vista as well?

Guest Maul

Hello gents!Just installed xp/vista dual-boot and have a question. If I install a program like FS9 on XP, would I be able to play it on Vista as well? I suppose if I installed a DX10 app only on Vista, it wouldn't run on XP...or would it? It's just that I'm gonna have a bunch of games on XP PRO, but I'd also like to try them on Vista. Is this possible or will I have to install them twice for each OS?Thanks for the help!Eric

Guest wayupthere

Hello Eric,You would have to install them separately on each OS, that due to the fact that each has it's own registry-hive in which it has to "record" any installed program in order for it to work.. Now some programs "might" work only installed in either OS, you can always try, but in general its not adviseable to do so. In regards to FS, it most likely won't run, Add-ons will definatly be a problem when it comes to missing registry key entries if searched for them.As to installing DX things, If the program you install is made for DX10, then in some cases it "might" work on XP, since many programs have a backward compatibilty to some degree.If its ONLY made for DX10 (unlikely at this point in time) it won't run on XP since there isn't any support for it in that OS.If however you install a DX9-only game in Vista, Vista will run it in just that mode and not in DX10.Hope that clears things up,Regards,

Guest Maul

Thanks Davis, I got two hard drives so I'll use one for Vista games and the other for XP games. I figured you'd be the first to bite on my post:). You've got such a killer system, you've gotta put up some screenies in the Screenshot forum some time.Eric

Guest wayupthere

Hehe thanks Tony, I do sometimes make screenshots, just depends if I have time besides work to do some simming.. Unfortunately haven't had much time lately :(Regards,