Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnegg

Have I killed my Gpu

Guest johnegg

Hi, yesterday I experienced distorted graphics, terrible mess of coloured lines etc. I realised too late that the door on the cupboard where my PC lives had been shut and I assume the card overheated.After turning off and allowing to cool I rebooted and found that I was unable to get any AA. My card is a 512mb Nvidia 7950 using 169.21 drivers and Nhancer.Before this there was no problem with AA in FS9 but you can imagine it looks horrible now.If I turn on in game AA and tick enhance in game AA in Nhancer I do get some AA but no where near what I could get before yesterdays heat up.So the question, do you think the heat up has caused this problem and am I looking at buying a new card ? ouchRegards JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest wayupthere

Hi John,Well heat is one of the major contributers of hardware dying, and if you get artifacts or any abnormal displaying of colors, it usually indicates that it did indeed overheat. Whilst a GPU can take ALOT of heat but..by all you say, you can pretty unfortunately assume its dead/dying :(Regards,

Guest johnegg

Thanks Davis, looks like I need to start saving, perhaps I will go for a Nvidia 8800GT this time, maybe its a blessing in disguise !Regards JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest baksteen33

Hi John, FWIW, if you're not going to do FSX or an enormous resolution, a 256MB or 320MB GPU would be fine for FS9. This would also be a good balance looking at the 2GB system RAM. Good luck and have fun with the new adapter. Kind regards Jaap

Guest johnegg

Hi Jaap, what card would you suggest, something like a Nvidia 8600GTS ?This is a great suggestion as it has a financial benefit and I have no intention of ever going to FSXThanks JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest baksteen33

You're so right, GPUs can be such a waste of money. And LOL, I wouldn't exchange my FSX for FS9 ever! :-) No more flying on rails and just throw enough hardware at it! :-) For example, 2GB is not enough IMHO, if, you'll want a 3GB box (or more) for hi end. Anyway, as for your new GPU, depends on the display (besides the app). I always try to point out that folks should look at their displays and display adapters as units. The one you mentioned should do FS9 @ 1280x fairly well for example. If you can, try to get one with DDR3 memory and compare the clock speeds. There are pretty large variations. You have a 256-bit adapter now, a 8600 is 'only' a 128-bit card, so it will be limited for gaming as of particular resolutions. Hope this adds to thoughts, kind regards Jaap