Sign in to follow this  
Guest Scratch1964

HELP!...Tech Query...XP SP2 Won't Boot - Which is Best Option???

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo notebook, which yesterday afternoon, decided not to boot Windows XP home SP2 from it's hard drive. Windows boots up fine until I get to the point where the blue 'Welcome' screen is about to load. At this point the white arrow puts itself on the screen, but the background remains black. The Welcome/User account login screen will not load. It's no better in safe mode either. I've tried repairing the O/S but I am asked for an Administrator password. I have never set a password, and there is only one account, so I did not proceed to repair windows from CD. Should I try again? What about password? The CD I used for this was the original WinXP from my old desktop (2002) without SP2 embedded.Normally, I would not not think twice and just reinstall everything from scratch. However, this machine has been slow lately, and, I experienced some logonui error messages back in November 2007, which lead me to suspect the RAM memory modules.All I want to do is to recover the files on the notebook's hard drive and then either reinstall windows, or, if it turns out to be a hardware problem (hopefully God, not the hard drive this time!!!) then replace the faulty component and carry on.The machine was received with XP factory preinstalled/serial number on the base, but that is it. It has no floppy drive; I have no back up CDs either. It was purchased as secondhand, which explains the absence of back up/utility software.I am unsure how to proceed from here. Have lots of ideas, but don't know what to try first. If the HDD is sound then I can buy a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE converter and plug it into my desktop via its IDE cable as a slave drive and recover important files. It has 2x512MB RAM. Should I try removing each one to see if one is faulty? Should I suspect the boot record is corrupt, or, worse still a boot sector virus?I can get the DVD drive to read a WinXP CD so I presume a fresh windows install would work, which leads me to think it is not a hardware problem, but more likely either a boot sector virus. I am leaning towards a corrupt master boot recordAnyone experienced this before?Thanks in advance.Scratch1964

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Scratch,Go [a href=http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/" target="_blank]HERE[/a] and download the ISO and burn it on a CD.Then boot of the CD, and it will bring you into your XP install (but running of the disk). Then you should be able to proceed to backup all thats needed, and continue troubleshooting. However, maybe after reading your story a clean install would be the better way to go, takes longer but sounds alot more stable/secure going that route.Regards,

Well, its all sorted out now, but i have to admit it was a funny one. The BIOS was reporting a boot sector virus having rebooted Windows after using Farstone Restore IT! With further investigations I found that Windows cannot communicate sufficiently well with Farstone restore IT! and BIOS when 'enable boot sector virus protection' is enabled in BIOS. Disabling this has stopped all errors and prompts. Turmns out there was no virus afterall!!!Tried booting from Linux Ubuntu CD as well as Windows bootable CD, but, surprisingly to no avail. In the end I borrowed an IDE to USB cable from local IT shop and ripped the data off in no time at all.Chose to reinstall all, and also a low level format of drive, just to be certain of removing all for good. RAM modules have tested fine and hard drive appears to be in good health too, but OS is still slower to load than when i first had the machine. Perhaps I need a better tool to test hard drive than the one I used. Anyone know of a good reliable free SMART diagnostics & testing tool for IDE drives. Fujitsu don't have one available so will have to go with a third party one.Scratch1964