Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rick1486

"Ghosting"/Backing Up My FSX P.C.

Guest Rick1486

Hi everyone,My fsx p.c. for no good reason decided it wouldn't connect to the internet at all, and after many hours of futile attempts at a solution I went for broke and did a reinstall of WinXP Home.That solved the connection problem as it now connects properly, but of course I'm now faced with the curse of the reinstalls!I installed fsx on a separate sata hdd, but that won't make any difference as registry settings and anything else which would have had any reference on the old C: drive have been lost in the new installation.I've had enough and once everything is back on and virginal once more I want to find some solution which will effectively "ghost" my entire p.c. (I have a NAS drive on the home network with 1tb of storage if it's necessary) so that if I encounter a similar situation requiring a fresh XP installation I can hopefully have a more straightforward time of things and not need to spend hours and hours reinstalling all my apps.Does anyone have a solution they can recommend along with reasons for doing it one way or another - oh and an idiots step by step would also be much appreciated.Hope you can help.CheersRick

Norton Ghost, Acronis True Image... all good.It's no brainer. Once you are in a software, its very simple. I am saving my images onto external USB disk. I always have 3 images, each about a month old. Each month I do a backup of both drives, and if I would ever lose one, usually even the 3 month old backup is good enough. FS is saved "once" though. It does take 50GB... And XP 3 times.I recently had to recall it, and thinking of how much of extra work would it be to install it all...omg. All you have to do after the recall, is newest changes.Hope that answers your question.