Sign in to follow this  

First Dauphin Flight on SB

So I couldnt sleep last night, after finally getting the Dauphin to work properly. I decided to make another test flight, x-country, using SB.I got all set up at KSNA with plans to fly to KAVX. SNA_V_APP was online. I filed IFR direct at 4000ft. Needless to say APP was suprised to see a helo filing IFR. I probably would have normaly filed VFR but forgot to hit the little button on the flightplan.I took off in mostly clear skies, picked up the SXC vor (strange event on that, VOR wouldnt lock on, but LOC did) and off I went. About halfway to AVX I was in the soup big time. The metar at AVX was showing 1/4 vis fog mist you name it. I manuvered in over the island, but I was not using the GPS (still needed to learn that part). So about 3nm from the SXC vor I went into a hover at 4000ft and thought, well Ill just use the ap and drop down to about 1000 ft. Nope still in the soup. Finally at 40ft AGL I "broke" out if you want to call it that. I could see the ground, but only looking down through the floor windows. I hover taxied about 10nm till I was over the airport (could only make out the taxiway. Figuring I pushed my luck enough, I landed on the taxiway, unable to see the rwy or the buildings at the airport. After refiling, off I went using the T-UP function and set course for Seal Beach and SNA.What a fun bird to fly! Now if we could only get some great sounds for it. I am using the Dauphin sounds recommended on the forum, but start up and shut down are a little anti-climatic. Also I would love to see some sounds that change with the pitch of the rotor.Good Flying Mark

Cool story, Mark. I love going to Catalina, although I haven't been there in reality for a number of years. Here's a quick little blurb about one gentlemen's flight into KAVX if you're interested: http://www.flyingolf.com/cagg17.htmlBy the way, I'm planning a little x-country trip of my own, originating from KSNA to KOSH. I know I'm a bit late, but I still haven't had the chance to see that new Oshkosh scenery yet. There's even a traffic upload for the scenery of some of the aircraft that were at Air Venture like that Air Atlanta Icelandic 742, and the EZ Rocket. So I'm planning a bit of an excursion as a side track to my VA flying. The only thing now is deciding on what to fly. I was originally planning on flying the Beech Super G18, but now, after going on a downloading spree and discovering the Dauphin, I'm torn between the Dauphin, the G18, and the Grumman Duck.Decisions, decisions.... :-hah"Learn from your parents' mistake...use birth control."(I M A UCLA) BruinAddict *:-*DemetriousAsus A7V266 MBAthlon XP 1600+ (@ 1.53)512MB PC2100 DDRVisionTek Xtasy GeForce4 Ti 4400 (Detonator 29.42 WHQL)NEC MultiSync E1100+ 21"SoundBlaster Live! Platinum 5.1Cambridge DTT2500 Desk Top TheaterWestern Digital 7200RPM ATA/100 40G HD (Primary)Western Digital 7200RPM ATA/100 40G HD (Secondary)300W PSUWindows XP Professional (Both drives - Multiboot)DirectX 8.1("I am humorous and well versed in the subtleties of everything pertaining to nothing." - BA)