Sign in to follow this  
Guest TerryT

More Realism

For about a day now, I have been playing with the "Free" version of the ActiveSky weather program than can be found here on the Avsim Site. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/Comparing it to the default weather that can be downloaded from Jeppensen, I would say it is almost like night and day. Both do a good job but I believe the ActiveSky is more realistic especially since it "Constantly" updates the weather as you fly. What I mean is the actual TAF/METAR's are being updated into the system rather than what is available at departure time with the default program.Case in point, this morning on a flight in the default 737 from KMDW (Midway) to KSYR (Syracuse), I was given an initial approach to the ILS runway 28. After being handed off to the tower just inside the Outer Marker (OM), we are given a runway change to 10 due to the winds. We were still above circling minimums of 900 and 1/2KSYR 291703Z 19017G25KT 2SM -SN BKN019 OVC029 02/M02 A2940 RMK AO2 P0000but when you have not planned for it takes you a moment or so to figure out what has to be done. We landed with no problems on 10 but I had wished that FS2002 would not be locked into that "Longest Runway" only mode. Runway 15 would have been a better choice due to the winds and was long enough for us plus it was clear.Anyway, try this ActiveSky program and I will think you will enjoy the higher level of simulation it brings to FS2002. You will note that they are Beta testing a newer version which looks like it will be even better. Maybe MS will consider putting this into FS2004.Terry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!