Sign in to follow this  

SHINY TEXTURES: MINIMUM SPECS

Hi everybody,(1) I would like to know what are the minimum system specifications for FS2002 to display shiny textures. Mine is a P3, 450 MHz, 4 MB AGP card, SIS 6326 machine.(2) All my gmax aircraft display black textures. The only way I can bring them to life (without all the shine and reflections) is to create mip-maps OR by converting them back to 16 bit or 8 bit textures. Is there a better way?(3) Is it true that not all graphic cards display the DXT textures properly? I have Direct X 8 on my system.(4) I am currently operating on windows 98 platform on a VGA monitor. It supports a maximum of 24 bit true colour. But I have read in some threads of screens running on 32 bit true colour mode. Is it that Windows 98 does not support 32 bit true colour?Thanks,Dr. Jinesh ThomasResident in Internal MedicineGauhati Medical CollegeINDIA.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I would say yes that the vidio card has to support reflxtive textures. I have a P3 800 and was running a Voodoo5 64meg agp card and it did not support shiney textures, changed to GF4 Ti4200 64 meg card and every thing shows. OS is Win98SE, it also supports 32 bit true color.http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data/reddog/905260.jpgSceenshots and Pics athttp://community.webshots.com/user/reddog18951USMC Retired

Jinesh,I think your card is way below spec. You should probably have at least a 32meg card. If you can, an upgrade on the cpu would help also, but you really need a card. You might try running in 16 bit mode also.Todd

Thanks for your replies, Reddog and Coneman. I guess my system is below specs. It is high time I got a new system.Thanks very much.Regards,Jinesh.