Sign in to follow this  

Need a Riva Tuner tutor

I have just installed a GF4 Ti4600 with the 40.72 Nvidia web site patched drivers, and went looking for a program to tweak it. Riva Tuner is popular, but after downloading and installing it, I'm unclear on how to adjust the variables it accesses.In the past I have used the GeForce Tweaker, NVMax, and ATuner for my last card, a GF3 Ti500, so I am reasonably confident in my abilities to navigate the tweaking process.Right now my focus is texture quality, as I am still experiencing blurred scenery. There is an excellent Topic on this board right now on Texture Filter Settings, but I cannot locate access to such settings on the Riva Tuner.Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Rick

Guest jaapverduijn

It's kind of "hidden"... don't use the tabs. Next to your detected driver you'll see: "customize", and next to that there's a little triangle. Click that, and all mysteries will be revealed.Jaap Verduijn.

Guest WorkingStiff

I'm willing to bet that tweaking would not solve your problem.Running a high-end video card with a low-end processor simply does not provide many benefits. Ideally the video card should be match to the capabilities of your processor.

Working Stiff:While I completely agree that my processor needs to go, the quality of the video card cannot be understated, regardless of the system. When I swithced from my Voodoo 3 3000 to a GF3 Ti500, the improvement was quite significant. Then I learned to tweak the Ti500, and the results were stunning. A good card properly tweaked allowed my processor to present the very best product that it could.In the same way my expectation is that with proper access to the hidden features of the GF4 I will maximize the capabilities of my current system until I am ready to upgrade. When I do, a properly tweaked GF4 will form the foundation for the image quality that the new system provides.Despite the blurred textures that I am currently experiencing with the untweaked GF4, enabling the capabilities that I can access, namely enhanced Anti-aliasing and Anistropy have significantly reduced the ground texture blurring problem, and have rendered the Kirk Olsson P-3C with far better texture detail than I have ever seen in my experience with the aircraft. In addition, the video cards processor speed has allowed me to switch from 1024x768x16 to 1152x864x32 with a frame rate hit that my system can tolerate, a true bonus by itself. With the Ti500 I was limited to the 1024x768x16 setting or the performance fall-off was too great.The improvements I have experienced have all come from the video card itself, as the processor has remained the same.Rick