Sign in to follow this  

*.fd vs. *.wmo winds aloft format

Hello,I have just updated my ActiveSky from 1.15 to 1.7. All works fine (including FligthMax connection :+ !), I just have a few questions about Winds Aloft:The doc.s say that v. 1.17 needs the new international (*.wmo) format, and is not compatible with the former US *.fd format.Now, I have a collection of old "interesting" wx files which I'd still like to use. The release note says one can "manually edit your old ones to contain proper wind information" -- are there any practical guidelines for this somewhere (or even better: utilities?? :9 ) The structure of *.fd and *.wmo looks pretty different, it seems not a trivial task...And perhaps it is not even worth the hassle: I am in Europe, so those old *.fd files which are for US only are not that important for me anyway.If such a conversion of *.fd to *.wmo is [em]not[/em] feasible (or worthwhile), would my next best move then be to just combine the old *.met, *.taf, and *.wxd files with the "simulated winds aloft" option? In the same context: What confuses me a little is that the v.1.17 User Guide still mostly refers to US FD files and their handling (except in the Offline File Reference, which does mention *.wmo).E.g. it says that for international winds aloft you should use Online operation, whereas the release notes say that international winds are now also available for download/offline operation.I suppose the latter is correct?Thanks in advance for any pointers, advice, and info.The usual Claimer applies: ActiveSky is a great piece of software!Cheers,Martin

Martin,Thanks for writing. My advice would be to start over with your collection. .fd files are not generated anymore, replaced by .wmo. Wmo files are produced both in Offline and Online Mode, so you are correct there. Of course, for the most updated winds a user should use Online mode.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thanks for the prompt reply, Jim!So I'll just run those old METARs combined with simulated winds, and otherwise start afresh.Keep up the good work!Cheers,Martin