Sign in to follow this  

how to backup weather data?

folks, how am I supposed to backup weather data? Let's assume I have the file cycle15Z.wxd with corresponding metar, taf and wind files. what I tried is to rename that file to e.g. cycle15Z_12apr03.wxd and all corresponding files, too, i.e. in this case e.g. taf15Z_12apr03.taf and so on. however, now I get error messages from wxRE telling me that there is a problem reading the offline wx files. how comes? Is there a way to backup weather data?CheersPhilCome to DAD!http://www.dangerous-airports.com/images/dad_logo.jpgAMD XP 2700+, 512 MB, ASUS A7N8X, GF4 440, 17" TFT

Phil,Not sure, anyone else?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Phil,wxRe remembers the last used default cycle set (.wxd-file) in wxre.ini. When you restart wxRe and it can't find the .wxd-file recorded (because you renamed it, for instance), it will complain (and BTW reset all other option settings to default values). I assume this is the error message you experienced.Here's what I do: I keep an archive directory/folder for offline weather files with subdirectories for each day (max 24h period) and name them with the date (yymmdd like 030516). To archive, I create a new folder and copy all d'loaded wx files (.wxd, .met, .taf and .wmo) there. Doing that doesn't require any manual renaming and in offline mode wxRe only uses cycle files from one single 24h period anyway.To use archived data, either copy all necessary files from one of the archive subdirectories to the place where wxRe expects them (where you usually have current d'loaded wx files). Or point wxRe to the desired archive subdirectory and select a default cycle file.Just remember that wxRe records the last used cycle file and expects to find it again when reloaded.Hope this helps, Peter