Sign in to follow this  
Guest hlm65

winds aloft stations ranges

Guest hlm65

Hi Jim & Damian,I'm wondering which is the range of reception of AS wxRE winds aloft stations...I flew some transatlantic flight recently and I got good receipt of english stations (and winds accordingly set by wxRE) till about 400 NM out, then I got Reykiavik winds, then, for a while, wxRE got stuck to BIKF surface winds (not aloft), even if it was showing the Narsarsuq (Greenland) winds. I tride to refresh, to exit, cancel met settings in fs2002, then reloading, still the same.Also on the eastbound sectors the same: good aloft from Canadian stations, then for a good while Santa Maria (Azores) surface winds (even if the aloft for BIKF and Santa Maria were good and shown on the opening screen), then Shannon surface winds, then Dublin surface winds, at last a good reception of a dutch aloft station while 350 NM away.Is there any way to force the aloft to get stuck to station for a while when flying in not well covered areas ?Thanks.Enrico.

The range is 1000nm.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest hlm65

First of all: MANY thanks for your prompt reply...prompt as usual, no add-on has THIS support !1000 NM, looks pretty good but...why if it is showing good aloft data within this range (well within, say less than 700 NM), it stucks with surface winds that in some cases are even farther than the aloft station (refreshing or reloading to no avail)?Thanks for help.Enrico.

Thanks for the kind words. If I have time I answer posts before leaving for work and then again when I get home.Not sure about your behavior. I fly many trans-oceanic flights and never noticed this. Maybe the next time it happens to you you could take a screen shot of the winds aloft screen(main screen) and a FS screen with the winds being shown. The wmo.txt file in your AS folder may give you clues as to what station is active.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest hlm65

OK, Jim.I printed a full list of the WMO stations from the RAOB site and checked that some of these are not depicted in the wmo.txt file (for these I've edited the wmo.txt file and they work OK). If the strange behaour (eg: correct aloft station showing but stuck to surface winds) happens again (not always I've the time to fly a full long range flight !), I'll do my best in taking screenshots and notes to send you.Maybe it could be that I'm getting some faulty setting in the fsuipc (but it doesn't seem likely, because for the great part of flyng aloft and surface winds are correclty set).Anyway,I'll keep flying and keep you posted if things go weird again.Thanks a lot for your help.Enrico