Sign in to follow this  

Loss of airspeed indication

When flying glass cockpit aircraft,ie;MSFS 2000 default 777, I lose indicated airspeed especially when flying thru clouds where the outside view goes white. I have tried leaving the deicer on at all times but this doesn't seem to help.The only way I get the airspeed back is to reload the aircraft.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.Thanks Jerry

Hit shift-h to turn your pitot heat on. The default 777 panel doesn't have a pitot heat switch, but you still need to turn it on. No need to reload the aircraft. Once the pitot tubes heat up you'll get your indicated airspeed back.Regards,Dan Zollnerhttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

Shift H, I'll give it a shot.Thanks for your help.Jerry

Odd thing about FS, in RW when pitot system freezes the airspeed INCREASES, I have had personal experience, climbing thru heavy weather and pitot heat failed, kept getting increase in airspeed, thinking that I was in severe updrafts and not checking the copilot airspeed indicator (it was the boss in the right seat--out to lunch) I kept increasing pitch to slow a/speed, woke up real quick when got an approach to a stall at FL370, broke out about that time, did not get a/speed back until about 12,000 feet.

Jerry,Had the exact same thing happen, and it occurred everytime I was on an autopilot climb to somewhere over 30,000'.1. 'White-out' occured (somewhere between 28,000 and 30,000).2. Indicated airspeed would go to '0'.3. Throttles would go to 'full'.4. To correct, I would have to switch aircraft, even if I just picked the same aircraft.Frustrating... found the problem. 'Cirrus' clouds. If you are using FSUIPC and have checked 'generate cirrus clouds occasionally', UNCHECK THIS.If you have selected cirrus clouds in your world weather, set them to an altitude where you won't have to fly through them (really high).Has not occurred again since I made these changes.Best of luck,Bob

Like I said, turn your pitot heat on by either hitting the switch on the panel, or hitting shift-h if there isn't a switch. Once your pitot heat is turned on there will simply not be a need to goof around with any FSUIPC settings. If you are unsure of my answer do asimple search of the forums and notice that my answer to you is the exact answer given to all of those describing the 'problems' mentioned in this thread. They really aren't problems as the pitot heat should be turned on when outside air temp is at 50

Dan,Thank you.. I didn't try the pitot heat because I always thought of it as 'eye candy'. I will try it. Hope it is this simple. If so, I can reset FSUIPC and put my cirrus clouds back the way I want 'em.All the best,Bob

In our RW operation all our checklists on the jets had the pitot heat "ON" as one of the last items, simply because in hot climates it was possible for the pitot system to overheat if it was turned on at engine start.As far as anti-ice is concerned, I haven't really checked FS2k2 but RW a/c will lost some power when anti-ice is turned on, depending on the system whether they use wild AC or engine compressor heat for anti-ice.I have noticed a lot of FS a/c have de-ice switch but no anti-ice switch. You would NEVER, EVER want to de-ice an engine inlet, ice coming off and going thru the engine is a sure way to ruin an engine, they can tolerate NO ice ingestion. The answer is to have the inlets warm before entering icing conditions so that you won't accumulate ice on the engine inlet. De-ice is strictly for wings and tail surfaces. Some use hot air, others use wild ac power heat for this.

Dan,Well I'll be dipped... turning on the pitot heat switch worked like a charm. I reset my cloud layers and FSUIPC, turned on the switch, headed into the wild blue and Presto.. no more autopilot 'full throttle lockups' at high altitudes.Thank you again,Good flights,Bob