Sign in to follow this  
Guest _sebastian_

Problem with smoothe visibility transition

Guest _sebastian_

This is a recurring problem for me. When flying in low visibility/overcast the transition to the clear skyes above is abrupt (please see pictures). When I break cloud, the cloud layer is not (as is expected) visible beneath the aircraft (i.e. clouds moving fast below) as something I have just flown through. It is as if the grey sky above the airplane is suddenly replaced with blueish textures instead.Please also notice that when I descend again the shift from blueish to greyish happens at a lower altitude than during ascent!Here is my .ini:--------------------------------//AS2004.5 configuration file B163[General]WindowPosX = 5505WindowPosY = 4200DefaultWeatherFolder = C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 4000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 5LocalSuppressionRange = 100MinimumVisibility = 0MaximumVisibility = 50LastPlanFolder = C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorMy DocumentsFlight Simulator FilesIncreasedWake = TrueDisableWindsAloft = FalseForceTstormsWithCB = TrueAutoConvertPlanFiles = TrueDisableVisGraduation = FalseForceDestinationWeatherZone = FalsePreventIcing = TrueOnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = TrueGlobalWrites = FalseDepictFS9HazeLayer = FalseExtendTstormLayers = TrueDisableDirectWindControl = FalseVoicePlayback = FalseLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = TrueDisableGroundUpdates = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueIgnoreFSReadyStatus = FalseFSUIPCWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = FalseLimitCloudLayers = FalseAutoGlobalWriteToggle = TrueRainWithTS = TrueDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = TrueDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = TrueZuluConversion = 1AloftPredictability = 100WindDriftRate = 0TAFProcessing = FalseEnforceVisibilityLimits = TrueWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = TrueUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONE--------------------------------Thanks in advance,Sebastian

Guest _sebastian_

Okay. I managed to replicate the problem during a flight out of CYMH.Metar:CYMH 180800Z 35029G35KT 1/8SM -SN OVC000 M06/M08 A2904 RMK PCPN 0.5MM Taf:CYMH 180739Z 180820 23030G45KT 1SM -SHSN BLSN OVC012 TEMPO 0812 3SM -SHSN OVC025 BECMG 0911 27020G30KT FM1200Z 26015G25KT 2SM -SHSN OVC015 Shortly after T/O, AS wrote Metar to FS9 from the CWMH station. It was, however, the same Metar as for CYMH so I guess no problem there:CWMH 180800Z 35029G35KT 1/8SM -SN OVC000 M06/M08 A2904The same problem occurred. Abrupt transition from grey sky to blueish sky.Thanks,Sebastian

Guest _sebastian_

Okay thanks. But before you make the nice effort of a lengthy explanation please note that the difference between pic#1 and pic#2 is only 150 ft! (actually somewhat less if you count in my reaction time to press 'Print Scrn'). I have never seen this phenomenon IRL. Strange indeed.Greeting and thanks,Sebastian

OK, I will not make this long: Based on the METAR you posted, what you saw is perfectly normal. Once you pop through an OVC layer visibility will suddenly jump. I cannot say more about your screen shots because I don't know what the METAR was. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest _sebastian_

Yes, I understand what you mean, but it's not obvious from a spectator viewpoint that I pop an OVC. I think that what you talk about is something AS is _supposed_ to simulate; not what it's actually doing. If I had popped through a cloud layer then I would be able to observe the top of that layer from above on the other side and, ideally, see it moving fast below me until I had gained some distance. I suppose that the cloud layer, since it is visible from beneath, should also be visible from above. As can be seen from my new pictures this is not the case however.I have linked to new images in higher res along with actual METAR for you to examine if you so please. I think this might be a bug in my software, maybe on MS's side. Note again that the two pictures are virtually identical, except for 87 ft. separation and, of course, the difference in sky color. The visibility is also more or less the same, apart from certain details being obscured by the grey background. Pic#1: http://www.fys.ku.dk/~sbbc/Images/fs9%2020...12-24-17-54.bmp (there is a cloud base some distance above me that I have to go _through_...)Pic#2: http://www.fys.ku.dk/~sbbc/Images/fs9%2020...12-24-19-32.bmp (...and somehow this cloud cover pass out of sight 87 ft. later)Regards,Sebastian

Guest Fjorko

Annoying isn't it !!!I think you will find that this happens to all of us mate ! I have had NUMEROUS such scenarios as per your included pictures.Quite frankly, i also don't think anyone have any idea what is causing this and how it can be fixed. I personally recon that FS needs a weather engine overhaul...Bring on FS2006/7/8 i say !!!

Hi Sebastian,I'll admit that those are better pictures. Just looking at the two I understand what you are saying, but the cloud layers are still there. FS uses clouds to set visibility and when visibility jumps up, clouds have to decrease. There is no way around this right now, ok?Edit: Also know that it is something that we continue to work on as we move forward!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest _sebastian_

Okay Jim, no problem then. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't due to any error on my part.You're doing a great job. Please continue ;-)/seb