Sign in to follow this  
Guest 320MAD

Small question about sight distance

Good day gents,At the moment (and since B192) I'm verry happy with the performance of AS2004.5 (I don't know what Damian did in that build but it gave me a real performance boost). Well done gang! Now I have a small question. I have turned up all my settings in FS just a little Sight distance to 80, cloud draw to 60, 3D clouds to 100% and density to Maximum FPS locked at 35 and get a constant 35 in most any weather in overcast it drops to about 30 so no problems at all there. Now to my question what does the enforce visibility limits option in AS do? Since my setting in FS is 80 I set it to 79 is this ok? Also what difference does the haze layer do apart from putting in the haze DOH! is it better to have it on or off. Any news about AE?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Glad things are working well for you! Enforce visibility limits will add the far away haze look to smooth out the horizon when FS gets a clear or unlimited visibility. To achieve this look, set your maximum visibility to 59 or less. Sight distance in FS has little to do with this, but really a setting of over 60 is a waste of resources, if you are going to limit the visibility.The haze layer is that thin layer of clouds that FS seems to draw wherever you fly right around your plane. We know it as the moving island of clouds. Many users like it, so we made it an option. I think it looks funny to have this cloud follow you wherever you go.ASV is developing. With each test build we add in and test a few more features.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Sales and Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Hi Jim,As usual thanks for the great support! Can't wait to get my hands on AE.

I personally can't stand having the FS sight distance set anything below the 150 maximum. I still enforce visibility limits in Active Sky at 59, but without the 150 maximum, the horizon is too low in relation to the sky, so it looks really funny, almost as if you are near a coast on all sides at all times.Turning the sight distance up to 150 shows terrain all the way up to the horizon, yet it is still sort of "greyed out" from the fading from AS. So, it actually looks pretty good and relatively realistic I think.Maybe my situation is unique and it doesnt work this way for everyone else, but high altitude flying with anything less than the maximum sight distance just looked too funny.-stefan