Sign in to follow this  
Guest RonB49

Coincidence or Fluke?

Guest ssurjap

Something interesting happened to me today on my "virtual" flight from Reno to Boeing Field that's never happened before in the same weather conditions(to me anyway).I'm using real world weather (FSMETEO). The weather at Boeing was 10 miles visibility with scattered clouds and rain. Anyway. ATC vectors me to runway 13R. At 19 miles out, ATC turns me to 100 to intercept (normal procedure). However, I notice that the AutoPilot can't intercept the ILS. I noticed this when I'm 5 miles out. Normally, it will intercept it 5 miles before the Outer Marker. Winds were 110 at 4. I go around and ATC vectors me in again, with the same result. So, I try to manually vector in, not using the Approach AutoPilot.Same things are happening. In other words, I'm dead on 5 miles from OM (by manually steering, not using the Approach AutoPilot). However, I then start to drift. No matter what I try, I drift all over the place. I had to give up after the third try.I wonder if I have to reinstall FS2002?

Obviously, you should exhaust all options before reinstalling. I have needlessly reinstalled several times causing lots of heart and head aches.

I'm not sure I fully understand your problem with doing it manually? When you say you "drifted" all over the place, are you saying you couldn't hand fly the plane to land? If it's just a problem with not being able to pick up the ILS, that's probably just an issue with that field (maybe).

Guest ssurjap

Hi, Lando.I was able to pick up the ILS, but when I look out the window (of course appearances can be deceiving :)), I see the runway in front of me. However, as I look at the ILS needle, it starts to drift to the left, meaning I'm too far to the right. As I've said earlier, usually FS has no problems with that ILS even in the worst weather conditions, so I don't know whether it's a setting in FSUIPC or the .air file for the aircraft. I'm going to try it again tonight and see what happens.As a side note, I've also been having trouble with the 737 bouncing around a lot.Thanks, Lando.Steve

Ahhh, sounds like a FS2002 bug with the ILS at that field. Sometimes it's caused by addon scenery, but is also a known problem at some airports as is. I wouldn't worry about it too much as most work just like they should.

Guest RonB49

Steve, you wrote, "Winds were 110 at 4." Was that what ATIS reported or was that the wind at your altitude (about 2200')? If there was avery thin surface layer, you may have been above it and had more of a crosswind. Did this happen over the weekend? I know there was some crazy weather in the NW. Press Shift+z once to see the wind direction and speed that you are flying in. R-