Sign in to follow this  

Weather radar?

Guest Lobaeux4

With the release of ActiveSkyRE and the PSS Dash 8 (with it's wx radar) does anyone know of a way to add a wx radar to the DF737, PIC or PSS A320? I ran across something from Project Magenta, a payware version of Wazzup that mentioned weather, but I couldn't figure out what it actually did. Am I grasping at thin air looking for a weather radar or not?Lobaeux

Guest Van

Unfortunately the wx radar for the PSS Dash 8 is fake. I was suspicious of this and when I referenced the manual my suspicions were correct. It does add eye candy though, but would be so much better if it showed the actual weather that was occuring outside of the aircraft.Regards,Van L

Guest Lobaeux4

I thought I read in the PSS forums that the WX radar in the Dash 8 will not read "real" weather, but it will interact and read "FS" weather, including that downloaded by FSMeteo. Am I wrong?Lobaeux

Guest UweR

Hi, I have yet to try with hostile FS_Meteo weather, but the radar definitely showed the thunderstorm I created in local weather settings. I went through the cloud layer and the echo vanished, shortly before reentering the echos were back. It works.Best Regards, Uwe

Guest Lobaeux4

Sweet, but how can we get weather radar to other aircraft. Will the new payware Wazzup do it? Flightmax just might not cut it.Thanks,Lobaeux

Guest Lobaeux4

Yeah, I've looked at FS flightmax, but I don't fly the GA planes, only the heavy iron, specifically DF737, PSS A320 and PIC 767. If there was a way to integrate FS Flightmax, in a realistic and believable way, I'd probably buy it, but it just kinda ruins it when I'm flying the airlines, then have a GA gauge.Lobaeux

>but it just kinda ruins it when I'm flying the airlines, then have >a GA gaugeLobaeux,Let me try again...... please believe me , this IS your answer..I mainly fly PSS Airbus.. and I would not be caught without my FlightMax. THIS IS NOT A GA ONLY "GAUGE"It is NOT a gauge. It overlays on your panel ANYWHERE you want it. Use a key combination of your choice to "Hide/Open" at your discretion.There is a complex learning curve...so be prepared to do some reading. Using FlightMax with active sky will provide you with beautiful real echos in blues, greens, yellows and magentas out as much as 200 nm from your present location!!http://www.fsflightmax.com/If Santa brings you one, YOU SHALL NOT REGRET ITHAPPY HOLIDAYS !!!!

Guest Lobaeux4

LOL, I get your message vince. In fact I went over to the flightmax website to do some research. I'm defenitely looking at picking this up, combining it with Activesky, I'm thinking this may work. How did you integrate it with the A320? Do you use a separate monitor, or WideFS, or do you just lay it over one of the windows and bring it up when you want to see it?Anyone else with FS Flightmax experience?Lobaeux

Guest UweR

Hi, I use it networked on a second PC, together with the FSGarmin530. No problem though to use it on one PC, your hotkey brings it up and hides it in full screen or windowed mode.Regards, Uwe

Lobeaux,I only have one PC right now, and it works great. My favorite feature about the radar is you can have the screen set for your moving map, {say range set at 50 NM} (which also shows AI traffic)and if you approach echos within 200 nm, it flashes a warning to let you know. So this way, you can change your screen in order to locate the echos. This gives you enough time to plan your new headings, and if you have RADAR CONTACT {see sig line}, call ATC and request to DEVIATE for weather. Then simply deviate around the severe weather. With features like weather radar, TCAS warnings, lightning tracking, moving map - with your flight plan, instant information about the nearest airports (filtered by runway lengths)... the list goes on and on.The best advertising comes from a happy customer. So I guess the guys at FS FlightMax should know they have a winner here!!