Sign in to follow this  
Guest jason2112

Help with 2 Monitor Setup!

Guest Blueshockeynut

Okay, I know I am a little slow on this one, it seems that more and more planes and panel addons are starting allow the movement of panel systems from one monitor to another, since I have always used one monitor and with more and more addons and programs coming out to make Flightsim more realistic and all, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get started with setting up a 2 monitor system, how the things are supposed to work and what products are supported under. Thanks for the time and the help, again sorry about being alittle slow on this.

For just running a second monitor on your existing system, you will need either a dual-head card or a second (PCI) card. Since outside views required 3D acceleration, you will find the best results by using your primary monitor for the outside view and then place 2D panels on the second monitor.You may also want to look around here][/b. This link has more to do with spanning platforms than just a second monitor.

Hi,I have a GF4 TI4200 with NView. The card has two ports: VGA and digital output (can't remember what this is called right now). You can buy an adapter to convert the digital port to VGA, giving you 2 vga ports for 2 monitors.You then use the NView application that came with the card to setup your windows desktop display. For example, you can tell the application whether you want to enlarge your display vertically across the second monitor (taller display area), or horizontallly (wider display area).I have one monitor above the other, so I have my windows desktop enlarged across these monitors from top to bottom.After enlarging your display area, you can start FS2002. While in the cockpit (2D mode), you will have to resize and move your panel windows around. It takes some work at first, but if you save your flight, the panel locations and sizes will be saved (and restored when you reload the flight).I really love the two monitor effect, and my frame rates do not seem affected. It is important to save and reload your flights, so you do not have to mess with the panel configurations every time.I should note that the 2D panels work well with the multiple monitors, but the Virtual Cockpit modes do not. This is because you cannot split the Virtual Cockpits across monitors (i.e. main panel on bottom monitor, outside view on top).This is how I use the muli-monitor display with my card, others may be different (but all the GF4 TXxxxx cards are the same I believe).This is my view and opinion on the matter, the may be many other ways to use the multi-monitor setup.One more thing.....The TI 4200 cards with the dual outputs can now be had for around $100. I think it cost me about $15 for the digital output -> VGA adapter.Good luck,Allen

Guest Blueshockeynut

Thanks for the help everyone, Allen, were can I get one of these adapter cables at?Thanks again

I believe the cable you want is called a DVI to VGA adapter.I bought mine from Fry's electronics (outpost.com). The cable I bought was in the Mac section (I think DVI ports are are normally found on Macs, and now on the GeForce cards for PC's). I believe you can also buy the cables from CompUSA, but they only carry Belkin cables (which are usually overpriced IMHO).Allen

Guest jason2112

> I should note that the 2D panels work well with the multiple> monitors, but the Virtual Cockpit modes do not. This is because> you cannot split the Virtual Cockpits across monitors (i.e. main> panel on bottom monitor, outside view on top).Of course, technically, you're right - can't span a VC over multiple monitors. But EXPECIALLY for virtual cockpits, I find the second monitor is a must! Primary monitor displays VC in full screen mode, and secondary hosts undocked panels, for example radio, GPS, etc. - all clickable, because they are 2D.One other thing: WinXP (Home & Professional) support multiple monitors/graphics cards out of the box. I have a GeForce3 AGP for the primary display (you need a good 3D support!), and an old Matrox Mystique for the secondary, which has practically no 3D capabilities, but it's only used to display 2D panels.AFAIK even current high end systems with two good 3D cards are normally too slow to display two different 3D views at once. The processor is the limit for this ...Just try out the dual monitor setup with some old, cheap hardware, if any is available. It works like a charm with XP, and you will never go back!Bye,VOlker :]