Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andy_YXU

Just bought ASUS GF4 Ti 4200 8x need driver advice....

Guest Andy_YXU

Hi I just bough a GF4 Ti 4200 128MB RAM 8x AGP and was wondering if anyone could recommend some drivers or tweaks even if they seem obvies to you, I was using GF@ 256 before there weren't much trick to that so couldn't be changed.I right now use 31.40, which kind of came with the card they work OK, and of course I can't expect miracles since my system is from the ICE AGE :-) , however the card is the first step to my new system i plan on making as money allow and whenever the 8x MOBO's are out for P4's waiting for ASUS P4G8X to come out.I understand that it's king of hard to give advice on drivers as all systems ain't made eaqul, but some hint even some obvies to some of you tweaks would be nice to hear.I upgraded from GF2 256My current system is:P3 866MhzASUS CULS-2 MoboASUS GF4 Ti 4200 128 MB RAM 8x AGP running at 4x AGP ofcourse with 384 MB RAM PC-13331.40 drivers; Antiallising @ 4xS AA; a) Anistopic filtering OFF (don't know what that is, but looks better wit it OFF); :( vertical sinc OFFc) Windows XP-Pro d) DirectX9 RCIn FS everything MAX except:1. visibility @ min. 60 miles; 2. AC texture at HIGH and no REFLection or AC Shadows; 3. Tri-linear filtering4. Dynamic Scenery OFF (there really are none anyways)5. MESH 50%AI is the only thing that kills that good old P3, but I can't leave without it :-) and on top of it I have almost 100 planes in dallas 3 overlays with constant dep and arriv scenery from simflyers @ 2FPS, but who cares :-lol I just don't fly there that much just wanna to make the airport busy. Other then that the FS is pretty playable always above 10 even 17FPS up to 27FPS ("27LOCK" at higher altitudes) except when I am at busy airport and look in the direction of AI Traffic.Even tough my putter isn't anywhere near the top line I am very happy with the new card, didn't really get any extra FPS however the level of antiallising is so high one would have to look with a magnifing glass to notice any jagged lines.Thanks ANDY

Andy - I've played around with drivers on my 4200 quite a bit and finally settled on the 40.72's because they seem to be, by far, the most stable. You might want to revisit the anisotropic filtering again when you get a chance. If you fly high and fast it probably doesn't matter but the AF does add quite a bit of clarity in the scenery textures out toward the horizon. And that makes a noticeable difference flying low and slow. Try it at 2x and then again at 4x and see if either suits your fancy. (But I'd stay away from 8x AF as it can be quite a framerate killer.) You may also want to try 1600x1200x32 with the antialiasing turned off. The card handles that pretty well and I think it looks better than a lower res with the AA on - especially the panel detail.Trip23999 Pixels9999 Bytes

Guest Andy_YXU

Thanks for your reponse i give it a try.Andy