Sign in to follow this  
JRR

To Jasper and others with the sudden display corruption

Guest gasebah

Hi guys,after three days of rebuilding, tweaking, fiddling with drivers, restoring....I found the problem that is causing this. I guess everybody who had this problem is doing all the XP updates.The winner is ...... Microsoft.There is a Windows update, a security hotfix that messes with timers and the desktop. The name is Q328310. Remove it and your problems should be gone.Alex

Guest Paul_W

Well, my display is "going nuts"--I've just now been experiencing a problem where the top part of my display bends off to the left, and yet the amount of the distortion is dependent on what program I'm using. If I'm in AOL or on the desktop, the problem is very obvious; when using Internet Explorer as I am now, the problem's not as serious--but it can still be seen (having said that a very obvious bend to the right has developed two inches from the top of the display...).So I came across your thread, and while I'm not aware of the context, I went right away to remove the XP security update you mentioned--but after re-starting it's made no difference.I'm pretty sure it's not my monitor or video card because the BIOS screen and pre-Windows load-up screens are stable. But then when Windows starts, the display sometimes just flashes and goes blank; when I turn the monitor off and then back on, the video returns.What a mess.I think at this point I'll unload the DIVX player and sound card capture utility I recently downloaded, and see if they have any impact.(I'm using a GF3 Ti200, with a Sony 17-inch Trinitron flat screen, and Windows XP Home.)

I was thinking of going to XP, but everytime I open up a post on XP, it not good news... Maybe I'll stick with Win98 for a bit..

Guest Paul_W

Well I just uninstalled and reinstalled the 30.82 drivers; when I set the monitor's refresh rate to 85Hz, the display bends again--but when I set it to 75Hz, there seems to be no problem, so for the moment I have a rectangle to look at again. But I know there's something else going on, because every time the display settings are changed, the video fails, and I have to quickly turn the monitor off and back on to get the display back and confirm the change before the timed "revert to old settings" dialog box disappears.

Guest Matt Johnson

I guess in most cases, since your machine isn't one which is going to have untrusted users, Q328310 isn't too important.However, if your machine DOES have untrusted users, you *DEFINITELY* want Q328310 installed. It patches what is a Texas-sized hole in the privilege separation of the Windows protected-mode kernel.--M

Guest gasebah

Well Matt,whatever it does for a lot of guys it freezes the display if you switch from FS2002 to the desktop and back to FS2002. For those who really need the Hotfix the only workaround is to hit ALT+Enter twice and you should be back to normal. I suspect other issues too though.Alex

Hi AlexNice to see you have fixed the problem. I have updated my XP indeed, also with the Q328310 hotfix but I don't have any problem with it. For me it was a problem with the refresh rate.Thanks for your post anyway :-hahJasper