Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunstriker

Guru help ot (sorry) - hard drive prob

Guest sunstriker

Hello genioussMy son has all his school work on his own drive E. Its is still there but we cannot access it! It asks us to reformat. In system summaries it appears to have lost its volume label code so I guess thats why it wont read; btw it says 0 bytes. Has anyone any idea how to recover from this , Im convinced his data is still thereAny help appreciated and sorry for posting hweere but some of you are real expertsSun

Guest Ken Meier

Sun,This is more of a sympathy card than anything else, I've been there myself. It was a situation like this that taught me to back-up my important data everytime I access it.It sounds like the HD has gone TU and I'm unaware of anything that will bring it back. Hopefully someone else will post an answer.It seems to me that there is a command to rewrite the FAT table, but I can't remember what it is. The only things I can think of to try are Scandisk and system restore (ME or XP). There is a program called EasyRecovery that will get back data if you have formated or even run Fdisk, but they state it is not designed for hardware failures. their site is http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecovery/Good luck,Ken

Guest fly4beer

NTFS? FAT32? xp, 98?if xp, boot in rescue console (or try it in cmd first, then run chkdsk chkdsk /? for helpcheersLucien

Guest UweR

Did you try a system restore? If not possible, and if check disk doesn

Guest sunstriker

Sorry I was asleepThx for your help, I have tried Zero Assumption and data is still there, trial version though so deciding what to do.Have tried repair at instal but no go...what I dont like is why this has gone tu lolUwer you r most kind if I need aassist I will contact youSunMerry Xmas

Guest Deeks

I've used EasyRecovery Pro to get data off 2 failed drives and in both cases it recovery ~90% of the data. On a 20Gig drive it did take some time but it saved me much more time. It's a utility worth adding to the toolbox.

Guest sunstriker

I would like to thank everyone for input.We have managed to get the data back at work. :-)Will now make sure he backs up all his work - learn please!! lolDrive has been rf and all seems fine; I still dont have any explanation as to why it happened...but not virus; there wer several warnings that disc was nearly full logged and I wonder if he tried to overflow itSun :-sun1