Sign in to follow this  
Guest africa

R4D and DC3 steering

Guest africa

I have just installed the R4D and DC3 in Flt Sim 2004 and set them up reference the instructions but seem to have great difficulty steering on the ground when taxiing to leave the runway. On some ocassions the steering seemed to work only ocassionally. I have CH products pedals and yoke. If anyone can help I would be pleased to hear from you as the planes are great but this problem is a bit of a nuisance. Thanks in advance for any help given.Stephen Day

Hi StephenHave a good read of the instruction manual. You'll learn that the DC-3 has no ground steering, and in the real world has to be steered with a combination of differential throttle control and differential braking. The rudder itself only kicks in when there is enough airspeed over it (usually about 40 knots) for it to provide any useful input.We have modelled the aircraft correctly in this respect, but knowing that some people prefer an easier option i.e. nosewheel-style steering, rather than the characteristics of a tail-dragger, above, we have provided you with an alternative AIRCRAFT.CFG file with which you can replace the original.Have a look. If it is not clear on further inspection, please post again. Good luck!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont

VP Fleet, DC-3 Airways

Team Member, MAAM-SIM

Guest kennethg

I want to say congrats to MAAM for sticking to realism and giving their DC-3's non-steerable tailwheels with steerable being an option. Too many payware designers install only steerable tailwheels in otherwise historically accurate simulations which, IMHO, ruins the sim.HINT: using partial rudder deflection when applying the brakes lessens the differential between the two brakes, which allows for finer control of the turn rate.