Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jakemaster

Quick Question

Guest Jakemaster

Why does the right engine have to start first? When I used the default, I always started left, then right. But that didnt work on the MAAM one. At first, I thought I wasnt priming enough. Then, I thought I primed too much. Finally this morning, I started it right, then left, and it was fine. Then I noticed in the checklist it says "repeat * items for the left engine". So why is it this way?

Because if you start the left first, you cannot be sure that when you start the right it is turning over/firing properly. You cannot see the right engine from the captain's seat, and once the left engine is started, you cannnot hear it either!So that's why. This is correct procedure for the DC-3.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest SPOFF

>Why does the right engine have to start first? When I used>the default, I always started left, then right. But that>didnt work on the MAAM one. At first, I thought I wasnt>priming enough. Then, I thought I primed too much. Finally>this morning, I started it right, then left, and it was fine.> Then I noticed in the checklist it says "repeat * items for>the left engine". So why is it this way?-------------------You can start Either engine FIRST with the MAAM R4D/DC3. Make sure you are clicking the switches UP for one engine, and DOWN for the other. There are 3 switchs..in sequence..from Left to Right. 1-2-3: The START sequence IS.. Left to Right. Turn on the fuel pumps for each engine PRIOR to the start sequence. MIXTURE ..RICH..UP. In REAL LIFE..it may be that only the right engine has a generator, hence start that one first. SPOFF

Guest Edd1

Both responses are correct, however, as I remember from the old days, Mark is correct in his response for sequence and reasoning.Ed Workman