Sign in to follow this  
Guest DC3 Pilot

180 degee turnarounds with DC-3

Guest DC3 Pilot

What's the technique for doing a 180 degree turnaround at the end of a narrow runway with a DC-3? You've just landed on a short field, and there you sit without about 10 feet of 75' runway in front of you. There must be a wealth of real-world experience on the subject out there. Thanks,Gary

Guest wji

It's not beneath me to press the Y key then #1 on the Numeric Keypad and press #5 when aligned for take-off. Press Y again and we're outta here. Too smiple for some I'm sure.P.S. You probably aleady guessed this feature is not available in the realworld model (but then, neither is Reset Flight).

Ignore Bill completely, he can't be well :)Slow down. Ignore rudder, of course. Engine at inside of turn at idle, apply power to the other. Differentially brake on the side of the idle engine i.e. inside your turn. The relevant wheel should not be locked - although it's not an issue in the sim, that would cause damage in the real world.You'll find you need more power in the sim to do this than in the real world, and it's hard to do from a standstill also, so as I say slow down, get your ducks in a row and make the turn. You can certainly turn her on the spot in this manner.MarkEDIT: You didn't say what hardware you use. With rudder pedals, a throttle quadrant and a non-stuttering computer, this is easily done with practice. If you have only a stick, then note that if you turn the stick to the left or right (i.e. simulate rudder, although the effect of it is not of importance here) and then brake, you will have differential braking on the appropriate side. You'll have to control the throttle levers using your mouse at the same time. Not impossible, but a bit tough, I concede. That's why we supply the 'easy-but-a-bit-of-a-cheat' alternative AIRCRAFT.CFG for people who have ripped out all their hair trying to achieve this.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumont

VP Fleet, DC-3 Airways

Team Member, MAAM-SIM

Guest DC3 Pilot

Thanks for both suggestions :-) My hardware is a CH Yoke, but no rudder pedals. I didn't know about turning the yoke and braking to achieve differential braking. I'm off to give it all a try. Best,Gary

Guest wji

"Ignore Bill completely," hey, might as well . . . everyone else does. :-)Are you using the MAAM tailwheel-steering aircraft.cfg, Gary? Another option is to change the contact_points 180 number to 45 or 90 (i use 45) but here again, these work-arounds are not in the POH.As a realworld instrument rated pilot I learned long ago to do whatever is necessary to get the required result. And oh, yes . . . don't run into anything.

Guest DC3 Pilot

Hi Bill,No tail wheel fix for me . . . I'm strictly using the engine throttles to steer, plus a tiny bit of help by braking and turning the yoke per Mark's suggestion. Sometimes it works beautifully, like spinning on a dime. Other times I drift off into the wilderness :-) But, as with anything, practice will get the desire result in time.And thanks to your suggestion, if sufficiently desperate I can always use "Y" . . . :-)Best,Gary

Guest SPOFF

HI GARY: I have a MS Force Feed Back 2 Joystick. NOT a YOKE: No pedals. I twist the joystick for rudder control. Left or Right. Clicking the "trigger" button on the joystick gives me differential....OR.. Strait ahead brakes. If I twist the rudder to one side or the other....while "rapidly" clicking the brakes on and off:...in the direction I want to go, and at the same time "Adding" a fair amount of power...down-wash from the engines will "Blow" the tail around. With practice..using power and the right amount of differential brakes..you can spin the plane around in its own length. PRACTICE IT. SPOFF