Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Radio Range modification for the MAAM-SIM panels

Some of you will have seen this release on the major sites:"FS2004 RADIO RANGE SYSTEMAirline navigation in the 1930s was a challenge. Pilots navigated by Dead Reckoning and Pilotage in daylight and used airway light-beacon system for night flights. In both cases flights were limited to good weather, bad weather wreaked havoc on airline schedules, either grounding or diverting flights. Passengers were unhappy, airlines were unhappy, and pilots were unhappy. Along came the four-course radio range. A low frequency transmitting station generated four electronic beams like the spokes of a wheel. Best of all, to use the Radio Range system only a low frequency radio and a switch box were needed in the aircraft. The pilot or navigator used Morse code audio signals (A and N) to determine his course. Although not perfect, the Radio Range system was so durable that it was the primary aviation navigation system for twenty years until the introduction of VOR navigation in the 1950s. Now, there is a bona fide, historically accurate Radio Range System available for flight simulator pilots. The principal designers of this innovative work are Dave Bitzer, known for his extensive enhancements to the Douglas DC-3; Alex Nicolson, who has previously produced extensive scenery for the CBI theater along with other work; and Norman Hancock, whose contributions to the virtual airline DC-3 Airways are manifold. Several others have contributed to this extensive project; most notably, real-world pilot Allan Greene, who has drawn up all the necessary approach plates for the radio range stations. Nearly a year in development, the package includes a standalone DC-3 (based on the default FS2004 aircraft) with a choice of three panels, featuring several new gauges and greatly improved flight dynamics; scenery for 118 Radio Range stations of Eastern US and SE Canada (historically accurate, based on 1944 sectional charts) with 118 complementary approach plates; and a comprehensive instruction manual by Charles Wood. All necessary system, program and sound files are included. Future enhancements will add Western US and Canadian stations. Used in combination with the included sextant, driftmeter and E6-B calculator, it is now possible within flight simulator to truly emulate the navigation techniques used in the early commercial propliners flying within North America."The file name is rr_03.zip, and it's just short of 20MB but includes a lot. This is a fantastic bit of kit and very appropriate to the MAAM-SIM R4D/DC3.I have, therefore, made a modification to suit, which activates switches that are already on your AUDIO panel (which you reach by clicking the 'headset' icon on the OVERHEAD panel). These are, indeed, the correct switches for this system, which is very fortuitous!So having downloaded rr_03.zip from the major sites, look for my file RR_MAAM2.zip also or find it at the MAAM-SIM 'free stuff' page. This is not an official MAAM-SIM modification, by the way, as it supports freeware work; but it does not alter or modify your existing MAAM-SIM gauges in any way, only enhances the panel. All that is necessary is a small modification to the PANEL.CFG of any MAAM-SIM panel with which you wish to have access to the Radio Range System.So, if you wish to give this a go ....1. Download and install rr_03.zip, the FS2004 Radio Range System. 2. Download RR_MAAM2.zip. This is a zip file; within it, you will find the cab file '1Range_MAAM.cab'. Put that straight into your Flight Simulator 9/GAUGES folder without opening it. 3. Open the PANEL.CFG of any MAAM-SIM panel with which you wish to use the RR system, remembering to back it up first if you are unfamiliar with doing this. Look for the AUDIO section. Then add configure the gauge entries to read as follows (change the existing gauge entry you'll find there from 02 to 00, as below): gauge00=MAAM_R4D!Audio, 0, 0, 728 gauge01=1Range_MAAM!RRange, 0,0,728,354 gauge02=dsd_xml_sound3!dsd_xml_sound3, 29,308,5,5,.sounddsddb_sound_ch.cfg Please note that the installation instructions in my download are slightly incorrect, although not unfathomable; but follow the above course of action and you'll be fine.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Well, Bill and others, I stuffed up. Some old code found its way into the gauge I uploaded in RR_MAAM2.ZIP, causing the signals on a number of airports, although by no means all, to be back to front. So if you've been wandering the skies of America thinking "this can't be right ... I'm in California when I was supposed to end up in Florida" your problems are now at an end.Download RR_MAAM3.ZIP from the Avsim library and overwrite your previous install. Sorry! But it does appear to work a treat, now.Please note that none of the previous files are necessary if you are a first time user (other than the Radio Range equipment itself, of course, found in rr_03.zip). I have asked the library to remove previous versions of mine.MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]