Sign in to follow this  

Some advice: Back up your stuff, and keep it safe...

Hi All,First of all, I would like to wish a Happy New Year to all. I wanted to share an experience. I am not looking or sympathy here; I just don't want anyone to have to go through what I am right now. I moved from NYC to LA last week. I rented a u-haul loaded all my possessions into it and headed across the country. Well, in Nashville someone decided to snip the lock off my u-haul and steal about 1/3 of my stuff. Computers, monitors, software, clothes, keepsakes... all gone. As I unpack, I keep (not) finding more stuff that is missing. I was not insured since I dropped my renters insurance prior to the move. I realize that all that stuff is just material possessions, and they can be replaced (with some time and money). I did have my stuff backed up, but that was stolen too, including all of my registration keys to payware that I have acquired over the last year or two. My father was kind enough to give me one of his computers and a monitor, so tonight I went to re-install FS2002 so I could start flying again. Unfortunately, even my original install disks are gone so I am truly at square one. I am a pretty die-hard simmer and I was really was excited to get back in to it. I am now realizing the daunting task I have ahead of me to get the sim back to the shape it was in, and I am trying to find the motivation. I know most of you have probably spent as much or more time than I have tweaking FS2002 to its limits. I have modified everything from scenery, planes and panels, every .cfg file, weather add-ons, VATSIM, avionics packages, AFCAD files, AI, etc. The list goes on and on. If it could be tweaked, or if we have talked about it here, I have probably messed with it at some point. Just finding all of those elusive .air files or remembering that one setting that made all of the difference in the world to me, or which combination of patches to use is going to be a challenge. I guess I can look at it as a chance to start over clean, but it sure is a lot of work. If you think back to the progression that we have all gone through since the release of FS2002, it sure is different than what we got out of the box from Microsoft. A huge thank you is deserved to the efforts of many wonderful freeware and commercial artists, programmers, designers and of sites such as Avsim that made this possible. FS2002 is by no means the only valuable data I lost. I can't even begin to describe some of the other stuff, and it isn't really pertinent to this forum so I won't. All I can say is do yourself a favor and back-up anything that is important to you and put it somewhere really safe, like a safe-deposit box. In the grand scheme of things, it could be a whole lot worse. I am blessed that I still have my health, family and friends. Experiences like this force you to realize what is important in your life. For that reason I am not dwelling on this too bad, but I did want to share the experience with others so they can learn from my mistakes. Good luck, and may all of you have a wonderful 2003...Happy Simming!!!-------------Michael

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm really sorry to hear about what's happened to you--but the main thing, it seems to me, is that your outlook remains constructive. A couple of weeks ago I took a nasty fall on concrete at the end of my run--but I was just grateful that nothing was broken, and that it was just a matter of time until the strains and pains went away. And so it became a fairly routine event--nothing too devastating.Actually, one of the reasons I write CDs with 650 MBs of backed-up data is because of the accounts I've read here and elsewhere about crashed hard drives; I keep one copy of each disk at home, and another in an office location. Off-site storage seems essential to me, since any darned thing is possible.Anyway, take care, and add some precautions to your routine. It'll just be a matter of time before you overcome all these setbacks.

Michael: You are probably fairly young considering your attitude which I admire. I know from what you speak.Flew corporate for 21 years and 8,000+ hours, 6,000 of those in jets.All my friends asked if I was ever scared, flying must be dangerous.I tried to convince them that it was not dangerous if you knew what you were doing. I have dodged BIG thunderstorms, landed at unfamiliar airports at night in the mountains, no big deal.Lost the job after 15 yrs with same company, bought a big truck (18 wheeler), spent 4 years transporting explosives, weapons, bombs, missiles, etc. under contract with US gov't. Friends thought that was very dangerous........only danger was 4-wheelers trying to play chicken at 70 mph. Empty or loaded gas tanker is much more dangerous. I told the company that I would not pull flat bed trailers because if I fell off and injured myself I would not get paid because I would not be hauling freight.End of story? NO !two weeks after making my last $1,993.00 truck payment, getting ready to go to family reunion in Indiana. Stood up on the edge of the bunk in the truck, slipped, fell to the floor, (all of three feet fall),destroyed my right ankle, this happened in 1997, have had 4 operations and still cannot walk without a lot of pain. Shortly after the 3rd operation, had rotater cuff surgery on right shoulder, triple by-pass and then a pacemaker.I am now 69, disabled, spending my time on my FS2002.The only reason I am still around is that I am too stubborn to die, I want to stick around and see what happens next. :-)BTW Have beautiful grandchildren and that makes it all worth living for.Hang in here and enjoy learning it all over again. :-)