Sign in to follow this  
Guest nirvana

METAR question!!

Guest nirvana

hey all!i'm pretty interested in weather at the moment (:-hah), so i need some information about this sentence: "EDDF 021350Z 19013KT 9999 FEW012 SCT030 12/10 Q0987 NOSIG" could anybody tell me what that means? would be gr8!bye, peter

EDDF is the ICAO designator for Frankfurt Main021350z is the date and time of the met observation in this case the 2nd day of the month at 1350 zulu or GMT/UTC19013KT is the surface wind - 190 degrees @ 13 knots9999 is the surface visibility in metres in this case greater than 10kmsNext comes cloud - FEW 012 is few clouds (2-3 octas) @ 1200feet then SCT030 is scattered clouds (4-5octas) @3000 feet12/10 is temperature and dew point - 12degrees temp/10 degrees dew pointQ0987 is the QNH - 987 millibars - in the US/Canada this in inches NOSIG means NO Significant weatherHope this helpsKazmart

this means:EDDF (frankfurt, duh ;-) )021350Z observation from day 2 of the month (so this must be from 02/01) at 13:50 zulu time19013KT winds 190 at 13 knots9999 unlimited visibilityFEW012 few clouds at 1200SCT030 scattered clouds at 300012/10 temperature 12, dew point 10Q0987 barometure pressure, 0987NOSIG no significant weatherthere's a website out there that has great explanations for all these things .. don't know the address by heart but doing a search on google should come up with something (try "METAR explained" or something like that) edit: looks like somebody beat me to it while i was typing ;-)