Sign in to follow this  
Guest anthonylees

Timeout when downloading real word weather at busy times

Guest anthonylees

I have a problem which is incredibly annoying, and I was wondering if anyone else had experienced it, and had any suggestions for a fix.When playing FSX on multiplayer, I have the usual problems on getting in through Gamespy, particularly at weekend evenings. However, having got in at the nth attempt, and then attempting to join a session using real world weather, the connection completes to the session, and then attempts to download real-world weather. Most of the time - during the week, and during weekend days, this takes a couple of seconds max, and the session starts. However, at busy periods the download appears to go much more slowly, and typically conks out after about 10 seconds, at anywhere between 10 an 99% complete. This then causes my router to disconnect from the internet and reconnect, thus losing the connection, stoping me from entering the session.I've got a reasonably fast 2Mbps internet connection which doesn't otherwise slow down for internet access when this happens - ie. a speed test shows no drop in line speed at these times.Any ideas - is this likely to be a router problem (ie how can I stop the internet connection being dropped) or something else entirely?Tony Lees

Guest anthonylees

Some time on, still getting the same problem sporadically. Any ideas, anyone?Weather downloads in under a second when I'm flying in free flight - at my wits end here!

Guest N6722c

>Some time on, still getting the same problem sporadically.>Any ideas, anyone?>>Weather downloads in under a second when I'm flying in free>flight - at my wits end here!I have seen a similar problem, and it seemed to be cause by a problem with Microsoft's Real Weather Servers.The problem comes and goes, for EVERYONE at the same time, so it is probably not your computer.It may also be that FSX weather system is DATA sensative, and that some weather is causeing FSX to "mess up" ( Nice techie term )If it's any comfort, it is happening to everyone -- you are not alone.

Guest anthonylees

Thanks for this helpful response. I thought I was alone with this problem - searching on the text of the error messages I receive didn't throw up anything, and whilst there may be many affected, it's not everyone. The FSX community I fly in regularly has lots of members who can get in easily with real world weather, whereas it boots me on trying to download the data. I suspect it might be related to dynamic IP addresses, as the problem seems to come and go with about the same frequency as my IP address changes.SP1, anyone?