Sign in to follow this  
Guest oldngray

New setup problems... request for help!

Guest oldngray

Good morning to all-Started to put all this down in response to another thread on a different forum but realized it really belongs here for discussion.Here's my story...I have just finished an upgrade of my main computer... and not very satisfied! BUT, I believe it is my fault, or the way I've set things up.I used a Gigabyte K8NUltra mobo w/SLI and RAID capability, AMD 4800+ cpu, 1GB 3200RAM, nVidia 6800Ultra w/256RAM, 2 120GB Maxtor SATA drives setup as RAID(0) (Striping). Did not upgrade my sound. PCP&Cooling Quiet 470 and a Zalman Copper cooler for the CPU. WinXPPro w/SP2 and all updates. Almost no other software loaded other than FS9, ZAPro, A-V, WinPatrol. Running Opera 8 as my browser. Broadband cable internet access. That's it.I should be able to overclock all this but won't even think about it at this point, and should be getting smooth FS action, I'm not!FS9 w/PMDG stuff, DF A36 & 727, Flight1 Meridian, RealAir Spit and SF260, KSP P3C, MAAM, Super Connie. Settings in FS9 are nominal to say the least. Traffic at 20%, no add-on weather, some scenery add-ons but nothing that would be considered exotic in my opinion. But then... the way things are going, who am I to judge!!!It was difficult to set up the RAID (in my opinion because Gigabyte has about a dozen options and I kept choosing the wrong one) and am not sure I have it set correctly yet. I chose RAID(0) after reading about the speed increases it affords. The 2 drives show as one 228GB drive but on bootup there is a message "RAID not enabled". Haven't figured that one out! Going into the RAID setup it all appears to be OK.When I accidently right click and create a "New Folder", I try to delete it and it takes about 15 seconds, while the hard drive churns, to do so. While running FS9, after about 20 minutes, and about every 20 minutes thereafter, the sim just freezes for about 30 seconds. No mouse, no keyboard... just freeze. Always comes back and continues on so I fear it has something to do with cooling... and with the video card.All that to say I should have checked more beforehand on the advantages and disadvantages of RAID and the effects of heating from the graphics card. I also didn't take seriously the many comments in the forum about the demands FS9 puts on a system, especially the cooling aspects.Specific questions:1. Can RAID setups be defragged in the normal way?2. Can RAID be backed up in the normal way? I have an external USB 120GB hard drive. Would like to copy the entire Raid partition to that drive for backup.3. Can the 2 drives (now 1 partition) be safely partitioned further?4. What should I consider in the way of additional cooling for the nVidia card? (if my premise is correct that it is not getting sufficient cooling).... and yes, it didn't come cheap! If I could get the performance this system should bring, Id be happy.... and will be happy for your input. Many of you are true gurus on this and I'd very much appreciate your assistance and suggestions.Thanks for reading this far...donmac

1. I don't think you have heat problem (symptoms are reboot or system freeze requiring a cold reboot)2.Your RAID array is not properly configured.This will lead to system delays as you described.I don't have RAID in my computer, so this is what I know:On bootup enter the BIOS.Make shure all harddrives are properly recognized.Make shure the RAID controller is enabled.After the mb BIOS is has booted enter the RAID controller BIOS and configure the harddrives.When in windows check the hardware manager for yellow ???You will need SATA and Raid drivers for XP to work.These drivers are on the cd that came whith your mb.If the problems persist go back to step 1 and double check.Have Fun James

Guest oldngray

>1. I don't think you have heat problem (symptoms are reboot>or system freeze requiring a cold reboot)>2.Your RAID array is not properly configured.This will lead to>system delays as you described.I don't have RAID in my>computer, so this is what I know:>On bootup enter the BIOS.Make shure all harddrives are>properly recognized.Make shure the RAID controller is>enabled.After the mb BIOS is has booted enter the RAID>controller BIOS and configure the harddrives.>When in windows check the hardware manager for yellow ???>You will need SATA and Raid drivers for XP to work.These>drivers are on the cd that came whith your mb.>If the problems persist go back to step 1 and double check.>>Have Fun>> JamesJames...Thanks much for pointing me in that direction... though it seems as though that's where I've been. I keep following the BIOS prompts at boot and all appears to be OK yet I still get the message.Will surely go back to step 1 as I'm positive I am missing something along the way.donmac