Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Bought a new computer and getting FS for first time. P

Guest cwright

AI can be addictive - because you can tweak and modify AI traffic to your heart's content! Fortunately I've got over that addiction because I've been doing other things, but it's still fascinating. Two excellent tools let you customise your AI: Traffic Tools - you can create any number of new flights or edit existing ones. You can also use addon planes, which lets you have real world airlines (all default AI aircraft are fictional airlines). The ATC will recognise and control any new flights/aircraft you have added. AFCAD - this lets you edit existing taxiways and parking areas, or add entirely new ones. I used it to create taxiways etc for two completely new airports. If you're interested there's a dedicated Traffic Tools forum right here at Avsim. I hope you get as much enjoyment out of FS2002 as I have! Best regards, Chris

Guest cwright

Mine's an ancient P3 800 Mhz with a Geforce 1 card - but FS2002 runs beautifully with good frame rates. Also FS2002 has a well-deserved reputation for running extremely smoothly. IF it's good on mine then it'll run like a dream on yours! Best regards, Chris

Guest abent

I have a slightly less robust system than you:P4 2.4 533GeForce4 TI4200 128MB512 DDR333 (not enough RAM - I have FreeRam and when I run FS with RadarContact, I can get down to as low as 1 MB of RAM and things get shaky - I used to run 786 PC-133 and it worked fine)MSI 648 MAX moboWinMe (likely my problem)I think you will find that no matter what system you have you will see a hit on FPS especially if you start to add complex airport sceneries. MSFS2k2 is a very demanding piece of software and requires some serious horsepower to make it work really well.I would be interested in a benchmark. I'm interested in how the RDRAM works with FS as well as the ATI card. I considered that route (the RDRAM) but, strangely, was advised against it by the computer store where I get most of my stuff. So when you get your system set up can you make another post and maybe a benchmark after that?I agree with some previous posters...the DreamFleet stuff is excellent...specifically, IMHO, the 737-400. And Project AI is a must.Also, if you like IFR flying you should consider getting you hands on a copy of RadarContact v.3 - a major enhancement over the default ATC.You're really gonna enjoy your experiences with FS.Take care, Adam

< What do you mean? (GOSH, am I a complete driveling idiot newbie or what???! As soon as I get the computer up and running, I think a friend of a friend may install it for me and show me the ropes a bit. I swear, I thkn I may need a FLIGHT SIM CONSULTANT!!!!Seriously though, you guys are all great and I thank you all for hooking a newbie up with great advice!Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

Guest abent

Once you get FS set up you can just go to an airport (say Meigs - which is the default airport - Actually, when FS starts for the first time you will be sitting at Meigs in a cessna 172). Just push Shift-Z twice and you will see your frame rate displayed. That's what I'd be interested in - your frame rate. If you are interested in doing this, I'll give you more precise directions later.As for FS installation - it's fully automatic. You won't need anyone to help you with that.Have fun...Thanks, Adam

Guest PhilipManwaring

I can point you to a few great downloads for some of the aircraft you mentioned:1. 727. Get Mike Stone's GMAX 727 in AA colors, Richard Probst's panel, and Charles Fox's flight dynamics for one of the most authentic 727 experiences you can have in FS2002. These are all available int he library - just search by author.2. There's a very nice GMAX 738 in the library - just came out from iFDG. http://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=210833. Mike stone has a nice BAe146 for download from the libraryhttp://library.avsim.com/sendfile.php?DLID=13806You can also get a good panel if you search for it.4. The best 777 is the Meljet version that was just released. Again - available here at AVSIM for free. Most of the above are available in a variety of liveries that people have painted - just search by aricraft type and livery name and you'll find them.Welcome and enjoy!Philip.