Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Newbie=Me. (AKA: A newbie needs help)

I officially despise my reflexes.Or, Flight Simulator's controls. I'm not sure which yet.Random thoughts:I'm on a P2/450, with a Riva TNT 128MB. No joystick, as this is my first flight sim outside of the OLD "Aces" sims from Dynamix from back in the early 90s (I've sustained myself on strategy games otherwise), and I'm rather unsure about the whole idea. (And of COURSE I got Pro edition for Xmas...) This is my old, crappy PC. The newer one I have at school is far better (GeForce 4 Ti 4200, 512MB RAM, P4/2Ghz. Yum.:-D Of course, it is, fortunately (I'm coming to dislike the whole college thing (me freshman)), 2 weeks til I have classes again, and 13d til I go back).Nonetheless...I CANNOT, even in the first freakin' lesson, keep my plane straight. Press button, plane goes wildly in that direction (thusfar, up). Then in the OTHER direction (down). Then back again. Then back again.Can someone, er, uh, help? Please?:`(

If you are flying from the keyboard, I recommend using the trim keys (7 and 1) vs. the elevator keys (8 and 2) for fine control. Use the elevator keys to get airborne, but use the trim keys to establish a stable flight. When turning, remember that after applying aileron (4 and 6) until you reach a bank you want, you need to hit "5" to neutralize the "stick". Otherwise, control can get away from you really fast.Hope this helps a bit.... -John

I try that, but that means the lesson doesn't continue.

Are you using the number keypad, and is your num lock key lit? To be honest, I haven't tried flight by keypad in a long, long time, but I do use the trim keys and from time to time, the aileron keys for fine control.

>Are you using the number keypad, and is your num lock key >lit? To be honest, I haven't tried flight by keypad in a >long, long time, but I do use the trim keys and from time to >time, the aileron keys for fine control. Yes, and no...I move using the trim keys, but lesson is staying.

Your (so-called crappy) PC will handle FS2002 ok....but trying to fly a plane with a keyboard is akin to driving a car the same way - why even try? :-lol(Actually a car may JUST about be possible because you have less axis to worry about (no up/downs))Buy the cheapest Joystick from Electronics Boutique or Radio Shack and then all you have to do is concentrate on the lessons!Terry

Remember that the FS keyobard flying controls are a litte 'odd.' What I mean is that they aren't toggles. The longer you hold the key, the more the control surface moves, and the more the airplane will respond. You have to press the 'Center Ailerons and Rudder' key to return all the control surfaces to neutral (yes, even the elevators).

Terry: I've considered that. However, in 2 weeks I venture off to school, where my desk size nosedives to the point that 1 cannot keep my headphones (since my speakers are busted) and a book on it at the same time.I'm not sure I can fit a joystick.(Unless someone can recommend a SLIM joystick?)

Lean your keyboard up against your monitor. The space saved by moving the keyboard will be enough for a joystick.I have a MS FF2 - they have quite a 'fat' base - so I do this quite a lot.

I have a flatscreen at school. Tried that. However, makes typing annoying. Also, KB keeps falling.