Sign in to follow this  
Cactus521

Question? Easy for Non Pilots ;-) Pics and what is FS20

Here is an easy question taken from a night flight in the last couple of weeks.What is Pic 2? and what is missing in FS2002! I think?Pic 2 is taken descending down through cloudsPeter

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Pic 2 is of the left hand wing and engine.The light source is the landing light.The effect is being created by a combination of the prop & the Clouds.I noticed similar lighting effects on climb out, in a single engine cessna from the prop on a clear night, and from the j/seat of a 737-200 climbing thru cloud when BA still operated them.Mark - PPL Holder

I think Pic 2 is the port wing ice light, situated in the engine nacelle and showing the leading edge.John

JohnHi, yes your right its the ice light which is switched on at night when the pilot suspects he is accumulating ice.The pilot can then see the amount of ice forming on the boots.He will wait till there is a reasonable thickness of ice before operating the boots so that the ice breaks off cleanely.Does FS2002 model icing lights which illuminate the wing area?Peter

"Does FS2002 model icing lights which illuminate the wing area?"LOL... It's hard enough to get A/C designers to make the wings visible from the cockpit, since many (falsely) claim it "lessens" realism and pilots can't see 'em...