Sign in to follow this  
Guest djt01

Intel X25-M SSD/ Solid State Disk

Guest UlfB

Seems you didn't read the final words.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest djt01

>Seems you didn't read the final words.I read the entire review, did I miss something?

Guest UlfB

>>Seems you didn't read the final words.>>I read the entire review, did I miss something? Seems I read the final words way too fast. Sorry about that :+ The two initial paragraphs mention problems with random write issues, but apparently this is not the case with the Intel solution but with some other SSD controller. Once again: Sorry about that.Ulf BCore2Duo X6800 3.3GHz4GB RAM Corsair XMS2-8500C5BFG 8800GTX, Creative SB X-FiFSX Acc/SP2, Vista 32

Guest djt01

>The two initial paragraphs mention problems with random write>issues, but apparently this is not the case with the Intel>solution but with some other SSD controller. Once again: Sorry>about that.The write performance issues have been the reason why I held off on switching to SSD. I

Guest Nick_N

I have had a military class SCSI SSD system for quite a few years now (Dont ask what it cost LOL ) and although the storage ability on it is too low to hold FSX and all my addons like world mesh, etc I have tested FSX on that drive.Your FSX flight load time up to about 30% are much faster (like a rocket) but from that point forward although it is faster its not wildly different than the PCIe 8X RAID0 on the Raptor because you are not waiting for just the drive you are waiting for the information to be loaded in VM with CPU/memory subsystem being crunched and become ready.As for scenery loads they are of course faster and without the mechanical latency you cant really tell any loading is taking place, and CPU usage is very low,.. however.. I get nearly the same result from a PCie 8x professional RAID card solution on 2 Raptors (and not Veloci's either) so do not expect any major change over a very good professional RAID system on the right drives. For those running single drives or cheese software motherboard RAID you can expect a big differenceBut where the hardware RAID and Raptors can and never will come close is in operations such as video editing and other such access type functions. Smokes anything else.Operations such as page file location, another excellent use for it which is what I use the SSD system I have now for, that and the photoshop/premiere graphics and video editing scratch diskI also think it may be possible to use the Intel SSD for Vista in its READYBOOST system if the motherboard has what is known as Intel Robson Technology on it.I have not looked into SSD lately so I should read up on whats happening and get back into the loop on it.

Guest djt01

>I have not looked into SSD lately so I should read up on whats>happening and get back into the loop on it. Nick,I was actually thinking of putting two of these together in RAID 0 when they become available.

Guest Nick_N

The SCSI SRAM type system I have right now is a array... these SSD units are from 2004 and are not large capacity on their own. The military and aerospace industry has used that type of drive system for many years. They are the preferred system for onboard flight computers in certain military aircraft due to their ability to be instantly destroyed with no data recovery possible on command or by an automated system in the event of a crash away from controlled areas.I am sure the tech has come a long way since then but I do think its mostly in capacity over speed.In order to really come anywhere near their ability with certain operations in mechanical you would need to purchase an expensive hardware PCIe RAID card with the cost of the drives as well. any pricing on the Intel SSD drives? Still reading here