Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Video Card Update

I am currently running a P4 1.6, 1 gig of 2100 memory.80 gig 7200RPM seagate hard drive. On runway 36 at Meigs field with the Geof Debonair in VC mode I get between 9 & 11 FPS This is with most sliders maxed and AI traffic at 33%. I would like to try to increase this a little for smoother flying. I am running a Leadtex gforce 2 64mb Ti card and resolution at 1280 x 1024. Set at 4x. texture sharpening checked and mipmapped checked. Would a Ti 4200 64mb video card make enough difference to warrant the cost and the time.Chuck

Guest Stratus_Fractus

A 4200 would fit in nicely with your system. If you can wait though, some great technology is just around the corner, such as faster P4s with 800Mhz FSBs! DDR2 looks to be great as well as a few new cards, such as the Geforce FX.

Greg, Your running close to the same system that I am. What kind of frame rates are you getting with the 4200 TiChuck

Guest Stratus_Fractus

I run with fps locked at 25, but I get 20-25 with almost all aircraft and have most FS options maxed, along with 2x AA and 2x aniso. If I unlock the fps, it goes to 30-50, but I lose the quality of my ground textures. I actually made a similar upgrade from a GF2 MX400 to this card, I got 1200 3dmarks before, now I get in the 7000s which isn't bad but is limited by my RAM and mobo. Framerates went up almost by 10, but the biggest plus was being able to crank the sliders up and turn on AA.HTH

Guest Stratus_Fractus

No problem. :-)