Sign in to follow this  
Guest KFC

HBY accuracy question...

Hi, I was wondering if anybody had used the HBY enough to notice how accurate it is, particularly in long stretches. I know it is not supposed to be very accurate, but I find the need to "re-calibrate" the route very early on. Am I doing something wrong? Maybe have to do with the declination values I use? (I use new ones instead of the old ones FS uses.) Thanks in advance for your help,regards,Macs

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Macs,Where do you get the figures from? are you reversing the sign (provided you get your magvar from FSnav or SFP(like I do...its free).the initial points should be spot on, with time there is an ever increasing commulative error.This can be rectified either with RSBN correction, or using a VOR, if you're flying where no RSBN is available.//Michael

Macs,it's hard to give you any accuracy specs, since it's dependent from many factors.However, flying with HBY is a dynamic and creative process. As Michael already pointed out, with RSBN/VOR/ADF along the route you would take every chance to verify your route accuracy, correct route offsets and so on. Depending from your upcoming heading change, also a clever choice of turn anticipation contributes to that. All that together, it's fascinating how much accuracy you can out of it. I can only recommend to practice and play around with it, with every flight you'll get more accuracy. Russian Navigator skills take time ;).As for the declination values, I don't know how big the discrepancy of FS and RW data really is. I don't know, how old is the FS database ? However, you could try some of the NVU flightplans on our site and insert your own magvar data for departure and arrival airport.http://www.protu-154.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1097If you recalculate, do you get a big difference for the "fork" value ? Mike

Hi,The FS2k4 nav database is from the April 2003 dataset.Best regards,Vulcan.