Sign in to follow this  

Refining weather parameters in fs2002.cfg file

I think I might be clutching at straws here, but I wonder if anyone has categorically decoded the effect of these parameters in the fs2002.cfg file:[Weather]MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=1MaxVarRampSpeed=75I've played around with them, but could not come to a definitive conclusion as to what exactly they do. The problem I have is this: Like X-plane, the weather modelling in fs2002 seems (to me) to favour large aircraft rather than smaller GA aircraft. When flying these small GA aircraft, the weather effects seem grossly exagerrated, but seem OK when flying heavies. One problem I found was the turbulence was greatly exaggerated, but I could adjust this by reducing the TurbulenceScale parameter from 1.000000 to around 0.620000.The remaining problem I have is with wind gusts. These too, seem exaggerated. Additinally, the gusts seem to be too abrupt (by this I mean the time it takes for the wind to increase in speed say from 5 knots to 16 knots - even the wind still needs time to accelerate, even if it is a very small amount of time) and also do not last long enough. The result is an air speed indicator whose needle sometimes moves back and forth seemingly with the speed of a hard drive read / write head ;) which just doesn't seem right to me. I suspect they key to reducing the severity of gusts might partly lie in the parameters I have listed.the other thing I need to add is that my FS2002 is not connected to the net or any other external weather generation programs, and I wish to keep it that way :) I do use FSUIPC, so perhaps there is some combination of settings I can try.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Here's my settings as advised in the FSUIPC docs.(Weather)WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=1MinGustTime=150MaxGustTime=1500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=1MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=0.300000"There are parameters within the FS2000.CFG file which control some aspects of FS2000

Thanks alot for that info. I notice that info is for fs2000, but seeing as you are using it in fs2002, I'll try it out. Your own turbulence factor seems quite low though. This parameter seems for me to be extremely difficult to adjust. Too low, and any turbulence below "moderate" hardly buffets the aircraft. Too high and "severe" turbulence makes landing next to impossible. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be any way to reduce the actual magnitude of the turbulence (ie the difference in strength between "occassional" and "severe"). Although I guess in real life if there were severe turbulence I wouldn't be flying anyway :) Thanks again.

>>Your own turbulence factor seems quite low though.Thats because I use ActiveSky, it simulates turbulence/wake turbulence very well!!