Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobL

King Air 350 question....

Guest BobL

I thought I'd try my hand at the King Air today, my first real encounter with one of the FS propjets and found it un-taxiable. As soon as the brakes are released it begins an uncontrollable yaw to the left that full right rudder and full right brake won't correct.During the start, condition levers are set to ground idle and the engines spin up to about 10 ft/lbs of torque. So I release the brakes and give a tad a thrust to beat the ineria and back to idle. The right engine shoots to 20 ft/lbs and will not idle any lower than that while #1 comes back down to 10.Nothing I've done so far makes any difference including trying a couple freeware airfile replacements that I've downloaded at various times. I've convinced myself that the uncontrollable yaw is the product of the imbalanced idle settings. Is there a way to tweak this so that both engines will idle at the same setting? I feel like I'm on a merry go-round at the county fair rather than in the cockpit of a sophisticated propjet!!!!!!!BobL

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Bob -You will also need to manage your props and mixture settings during taxi.However, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for another freeware release from FSD (http://www.fsd-international.com), which will include a complete rework of the flight dynamics for the default Baron 58 and King Air.Good luck._____________________________Jeff S. KDTW

Guest BobL

JeffHi and Thank You. I'm a RW pilot and the heaviest thing I've flown is the 400 Cessna/Navajo category so my actual experience is restricted regarding propjet procedures. From maintenance, I know that ground operations are done in the ground idle gate. I'm afraid that I don't quite understand "manage your props and mixture."I have both engines fuel condition set to ground idle. After the first thrust application, #1 then idles at 10 ft lbs. #2 at 20 ft lbs. Ya' know, come to think of it, 20 ft-lbs of torque is tremendous, I'll bet that supposed to be inch-lbs. I digress. The props are set to full low pitch (high rpm) just as I do in RW recips. What should I be setting them to? Or do you mean that I should metering them (the props or condition levers) instead of thrust levers/throttles. If its the latter, is that RW procedure or an anomaly of FSBobL

Guest paulri

Hi BobIf you do not have it, get FSUIPC and install it. Go to schiratti.com and then to Peter Dowson's page there. Latest version is 2.95. Read the readme, especially the part about the tech tab, install is real easy. Basically unzip into a temp folder and then copy the FSUIPC.dll file into your modules folder. Then, after you get it, or if you already have it installed, calibrate your throttle(s)via FSUIPC Tech Tab to set real idle. What may be happening is that you are getting polling spikes from FS2002 that is preventing you from placing the throttles in idle--even though the controller throttle is all the way back. When calibrating the idle position, leave a small amount of movement from full off to eliminate any possibility of controller "slop" preventing full idle when you pull it back all the way. Condition levers should be in "low idle" for taxi. Prop Lever full forward. With this setting, and the throttle properly calibrated using FSUIPC, I get approximately 10 pounds of torque at throttle idle, and have no problem at all taxiing the KA350. A good steady taxi will normally result, after you get the aircraft rolling,with ~15 pounds of torque. Works like a charm for me. EDIT: almost forgot something. If you are using a single throttle control on a sim controller to control both engine throttles at the same time, you could have the engines "disconnected"--their controls both move separately. OR, if using a mouse for engine control, you could also have the same problem if "disconnected". Try clicking E+1+2 (don't click the + key though :-) ) in sequence, see if that rejoins the throttle controls, as well as prop and condition levers. If the engines become disconnected, all three controls will also be disconnected. An accidental hitting of the E key while in the sim can cause that to happen, and you might not even be aware of it. HTHPaul

Guest BobL

Oh, now this is strange.Actually, I already have FSUIPC patched all the way up. I went to check the tech tab and about the same time it hit me...wait a minute. Maybe it's the PFC driver. So I checked and sure enough, when I power up the Cirrus II console is when the asynchronous idle occurs. As long as I leave the flight console off, I'm okay. Of course, nothing else works..no yoke, aileron, radios, rudder, nose steering, nothing. But when I turn the power on for the flight console, I watch the torque split. It shows up immediately.I was trying to fly the Kingair with the Cirrus II and trying to use the Baron style throttle quadrant. It's really my first attempt at the King with the Cirrus II. Any Cirrus II owners using something different? How are you configured for the King Air? Or do I need to get that special Kingair throttle quadrant?BobL