Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgcomp

A320 Approach difficulty

Guest jgcomp

I have noticed a behavior which confuses me on some specific approaches. As an example, on a flight from CYOW to CYHZ with a route through J29 CETTY and landing RWY 23 in CYHZ. Situation arises at approx 28 nm past CETTY flying towards DECEL point on HDG approx 110 degrees. Specifically, at approx 3 nm before DECEL point, aircraft begins right turn towards airport. DECEL and CF23 points disappear from flight plan and autopilot begins Final. Distance then from runway is insufficient for autopilot to aligh aircraft properly for successful landing on RWY 23. I have to manually take over by pulling on HDG selector (rightclicking) and force the aircraft further towards CF23 point, then allow autopilot to resume i.e. right turn, align catch glideslope, etc, etc. Aircraft almost lands itself then. I would like to know whether this behavior of the A320 is similar in real life or is it specific to this software.Thanks in advance.Jean-Guy

Guest jomata

Are you selecting a STAR or some form of intercepting final app course at an angle lesser than 90

Guest jgcomp

Indeed, the aircraft does not overfly the CF23 pseudo waypoint. It does not overfly the DECEL point either. LOC or APP are not armed yet. It seems rather that the autopilot flies towards DECEL and CF23 and suddenly sees that CYHZ is next after these two pseudo waypoint which it erases from the flightplan on the FMS and then begins its right turn towards the RWY threshold. In fact the aircraft simply follows the flightplan. It seems to me that engaging LOC or APP only helps to catch the glideslope.Thanks for your answer. Your english sure makes sense....!Jean-Guy

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.