Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747lover

fly by wire and sideslip

Guest 747lover

Hello again.Been a while since I was on the forum.Some days ago I was x wind landing the A330 at JFK.At the marker,I tried to cross controll the aircraft to find out how it was to sideslip,and also to find out if I was drifting off.What amazed me was that it was different from other aircraft.When I kicked left rudder and a little right aileron input,the bus continued to roll to the right until I neutrilazed the stick.When I did that ,it was not rolling to the left because off the left rudder input.After a little research,I find out that the fly by wire computers make it handle different from other types.Instead of direct mechanical link from stick to aileron,the signals from the sidestick went through a computer which controlled roll rate.Because of that,it will continue to roll if sideslipping the normal way by crosscontrol.The rudder on the bus is small(crosswind limit is only 27 knots)so it could be a full rudder deflection isn,t giving any significant roll behaviour.But if PSS have modelled the fly by wire system so into detailes,I am realy very,very impressed,because I am been told that fbw aircraft is very difficult to simulate in FS.Experts and other fellow enthusiasts feel free to comment

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.