Sign in to follow this  
Guest Edam

eko...

Guest Edam

I use your Lear35A panel with the Cessna 421C Golden Eagle. It's recommended that you don't exceed 240 KIAS airspeed with that aircraft, but I notice that I can go way above that speed without a warning.What do I need to edit to make the Overspeed Warning appear when exceeding 240 KIAS, if that is even possible given that I am using a jet panel for a prop? I looked at the cfg files, but didn't see anything obvious to change.Thanks.

Guest eko

First of all, the panel you use has absolutely NO bearing or influence on whether the overspeed sound will be heard or not... it is strictly a matter of what the speed value for overspeed is set to in the .AIR file, and that the sound.cfg file has the correct flag for it.Since it is a commercial package, I will assume that the sound.cfg file is set up properly. It should be, anyway.Second then, is you have to adjust the speed value in the .AIR file which tells the sim when you have reached the overspeed limit.You need to download two things.First, you need the airfile editor AirEd:http://members.dsl-only.net/~eagle/ (webpage)http://members.dsl-only.net/~eagle/AirEd.zip (direct download)Next, you should get Ron Freimuth's updated aired.ini file which fills in a lot of the gaps from the original.http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.html (webpage)http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/airedini.zip (direct download)Once you have it working, you need to open up the Cessna AIR file with AirEd. The record you need to modify is in SECTION 1101 PRIMARY AERODYNAMICS. It is the third entry down (*Vmo - Overspeed Warning (kts)=***.****). This will be the airspeed at which the overspeed warning will sound at.HOWEVER, THIS IS IMPORTANT!If this airfile is by Steve Small (which, IIRC, he did the dynamics for the Golden Eagle but you will only know once you try to open the file), you will NOT be able to modify it with AirEd.Steve protects his AIR files from modification with a technique which I won't divulge out of respect for him. When you open up the .AIR file with AirEd, the only thing you will see is one entry at the top with some garbage characters. If this is what you get, then it's a Steve Small AIR file. I know how to get around this, but like I said before, I will not make this information public out of respect for Steve and his work. Suffice it to say, that AirEd will not be able to modify the file.All I can say at this point (after having shown you how to do it and informing you of the fact that you will not be able to!), is to go to their support forum with this information, and ask if this is an issue that they know about. The airplane SHOULD sound off when it reaches the overspeed value mentioned in the documentation, if it does not... then it's technically a BUG and needs to be dealt with in their support forums, etc.

Guest Edam

Thanks for the detailed explanation, eko. I believe that you are correct in that the airfile is by Steve Small. However, I am using a different sound package also, so I will look in there first, then try my luck with the .AIR file.Thanks again!

Check your realism settings are for "IAS" and not "TAS". Note also the C421 o/s is flagged @ 215 KIAS and it trips just fine. I do pay attention.http://www.fsd-international.com/temp2/c421oswarn.jpgFor every person that wants the audible overspeed warning there are fifty that don't want to hear it (or see the silly red text) and they are right because in this type (category ... whatever) of a/c there ain't no warning sound IRL except excessive wind noise.Best,

Guest Edam

>Check your realism settings are for "IAS" and not "TAS". They are set to IAS.>Note also the C421 o/s is flagged @ 215 KIAS and it trips >just fine. I do pay attention. I'm sure that you do, but it doesn't trip for me, so it doesn't work just fine in my case.>For every person that wants the audible overspeed warning >there are fifty that don't want to hear it (or see the >silly red text) and they are right because in this >type of a/c there ain't no warning >sound IRL except excessive wind noise.Yes, I've seen the numerous posts from people complaining about the overspeed warning. As for IRL, I'm not very interested in what happens in that case. If I were, I wouldn't be using a jet panel in a twin. Also, I use an alternate mini-panel and WXRE. The mini-panel that I use does not show the wind speed. When I'm flying along in the mini-panel, and enjoying the view, the wind speed will at times drastically change, resulting in the need to reduce IAS. In that case the audible overspeed warning would be handy to have available. It's not.It seems to me that there may be another setting that I may have to adjust. I'll look for it.

Guest eko

Well, since Steve has confirmed that the value is in place in the AIR file, the only other thing that could be wrong is that it is not properly flagged in the sound.cfg file. Since you are using a different sound set, this may be the most likely case.Open up the sound.cfg and look for this line:[OVERSPEED_WARNING_SOUND]flags=1Does the sound.cfg have this line in it? If it does not, then add it, if it does, then I am out of ideas.

Guest Edam

Yep, the sound.cfg does have that value, and I've tried different sounds, eko.No problem. I'll just visually pay attention to the speed. I refuse to give up using your panel, it's just too good.