Sign in to follow this  

MS SideWinder ForceFeedBack Pro 1.0 Calibraton XP Home

Completed upgrade to new box, WIN XP Home and FS 2002. Encountering problems with ForceFeedBack stick sensitivity settings. Regardless of sensitivity and null zone adjustment the stick is far too sensitive resulting in control issues. The slightest movement causes major changes to control services.I adjusted the joystick calibration first in XP and then inside FSIM 2002.Interested in tips to resolve.Thanks,Terry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Terry:While XP doesn't claim full support for the FFDBK1, it does give basic functional support. Loading the old SideWinder software does nothing, and may corrupt the system.I had a discussion with a M$ tech on CFS3 and he confirmed the above. The only way to adjust sensitivities is from the particular game in question. You'll notice that the calibration screens for the joystick are different from earlier operating systems. My FFDBK1 was a gameport device and the above held true for it.I've recently upgraded to FFDBK2, USB, and with it you must load a special program that gives you a lot of calibration options.My FFDBK1 worked fine with FS2K2, but any force adjustments had to have been made within the sim - there was no other way to access the forces adjustment.Hope this somehow helps.Regards,

Thanks for the tip about calibration within FS2K2. I had calibrated in Game Controller setup menu. I tried calibration of FFDBK1 without improvement. I tried a variety of sensitivity and null zone adjustments to no avail.Next I installed Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D. XP found recognized the controller. I calibrated and set sensitivities. Unfortunately I still get over control.Is it possible that I am doing something wrong when calibrating? When asked to draw circles to establish X and Y axis. Should the circles be large or small?I really prefer the FFDBK1 and would like to find a workable solution.Terry

Terry:When I calibrated under the windows/game controllers menu, when I got to the portion to make circles - make a full square, moving the stick to the extreme travel limits several times. This establishes the dynamic range of the controller. Then, adjust parameters within the game. This should work.At this point I can't think of any other suggestions. Good Luck.

As I suspected I goofed when calibrating the stick.I wasn't moving the stick to the extremes of the X and Y axis. I misunderstood the instructions and drew nice round circles and in the process established a super sensitive joystick. The force feedback stick now works beautifully.It is the simply and seemingly insignificant aspects of life that trip you up.Thanks for setting me straight.Terry