Sign in to follow this  

COPYRIGHT AND ADD-ONS

I have noticed from time to time, 2D panels and interior views that 'utilies' bits and pieces or even whole views from other COMMERCIAL products... A Renegade and a Beechjet panel using bitmap backgrounds from Flight Umlimited III and interior views using Beech B200 and Hawker 800 Bitmap backgrounds from FlyII aircraft... I have no problems, ethically, with these add-ons... Not much point in wasting time re-inventing the wheel, so to speak...My favourite 2D cockpit right now is one I made for my Abacus Piper PA31-310, using heavily modified views from the FlyII Piper Kodiak...This particular modification is made only for my own enjoyment.........BUT! What are the legal implications of taking this.... Piracy is too nasty a word... Let's call it artistic license...and then actually releasing these add-ons?? Considering the fact that these releases are non-profit freeware releases...Your thoughts and legal knowledge please....Cheers//Tonni

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Making your own panels etc using material from other products is usually OK (though some manufacturers might forbid it).Distributing those things afterwards is strictly NOT OK, and IS indeed piracy and copyright theft.If you want to enable others to enjoy it too, ask for permission of the original author (which may or more likely may not be granted).If no permission is granted, obey those wishes. you could potentially write up instructions for others to replicate your work for their own enjoyment, which would usually be allowed.