Sign in to follow this  
Guest DreamFleet

Positive Notice to Payware Developers

Please, please create a limited feature demo version of your products so we can try before we buy. I just spent an hour and a half using the demo version of MAAM's Briefing Time. I'm sold and just ordered my CD. Now having said that, there are some addons I have purchased that looked wonderful in screens and commentary, but after I got them, there was something that I didn't like which would have been obvious to me in a demo version.I can't be that hard to create a demo version of your releases. I understand a time-locked version might be compromised by a resourceful hacker, but a demo that simply has less features cannot be hacked. I don't mind looking at jpegs of features from the cockpit views as long as I can feel the flight model, see the frames I'm getting and check out the external views on my system.Please consider this for your releases. It benefits both parties ethically and monetarily.regards,Craig

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As paying consumer I do agree with you, although I have heard some developers say that providing demos is either too difficult technically or ties up resources that could otherwsie be devoted to providing a better product in the first place. I can't speak for the validity of those statements because I am not a payware developer. I am sure there are valid arguments on both sides. Reviews can only tell you so much and in the end you have to make a judgement call to the best of your ability if no demo is available. But it is often very difficult indeed to judge the quality of software unless you install it on your very own machine and experience it for yourself on your own particular setup. That said, I am aware of at least one payware developer who does not offer demos, but does offer a refund policy if you are not happy (not that it has ever been neccessary for me to ask for a refund).I guess a lot of it comes down to the reputation of the developer, what the majority think about the quality of their products, what you read in the forums here, etc. Without naming names, there are certainly at least 3 or 4 developers / companies from whom I would purchase without hesitation, even if a demo did not exist, because I know the quality of their work is consistently high.

We offer a 30 day money back policy, and we think that's more than enough, and ultimately superior to any limited functionality, or time limited demo, which does not do true justice to the product.After all, we're talking products that are between $20-$30, not $500. Producing such "demos" will only create additional labor / costs. We've found that the money back policy is superior and popular with our customers.Let me also add that such a policy is not standard, and in many cases when you buy software, you might get 15 days, and on a box/CD purchase, you might also suffer a 15% restocking fee if the box has been opened.Of course, to do a money back deal, you need a true business entity / staff behind you, and we are fortunate to have this via Flight 1 Software.Right now, our returns are WELL under 1% of our sales. :-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...RUM_LOUF_A2.jpg