Sign in to follow this  
Guest cbuchner1

Providing aircraft control input using SimConnect?

Okay, so I got the Wii Remote controller connected over bluetooth and I can read out its sensor values.Is there any way that I can provide control input to the plane via Simconnect or can I exclusively do this through a Joystick driver? My end goal is to create a TrackIR replacement to control the camera orientation and position, but I would also like to investigate if I can fly a plane or a helicopter by rotating the Wii Remote in three axes. It has acceleration sensors that seem to allow registering the orientation of the "Wiimote" in space. But this requires me to generate control input for the aircraft.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Partial success already!I can now control an aircraft by rotating the Wiimote controller.I quickly hacked a Joystick driver to translate the accelerationsensor measurement into X and Y axis movements of a virtual joystick.I just tried it over Friday Harbour, controlling the gliderwith the Wiimote.Fortunately someone else had already programmed a virtual joystickdriver that can be fed input data from any user application.So I just had to write a user application to grab the datafrom the Wiimote - this spared me from having to write a Kernelmode joystick driver. Tomorrow I am going to map the extra buttonsand the directional arrows to look around.Hmm. A second Wimote could control the throttle maybe. Or I wouldsimply use the Nunchuk controller for that... ;)Everything was written in C# by the way - Simconnect is not yetinvolved. It will be required for controlling the camera (head/eye)movement in an "analog" fashion though.

I strapped the Wiimote to my head, and by tilting my head sideways (duh) or by lookung up and down I can move the FSX camera. There you have it: A poor man's track IR. Will needs some refinement obviously. The strap-to-head idea is not very good as this does not allow me to use any of the buttons on the Wiimote. And besides it looks utterly ridiculous.Meanwhile I am also using the Nunchuk controller as well. Its G sensors pick up pitch and roll (depending on the angle I hold this device at), the rudder is provided by the analog joystick on this controller.I did not have to use Simconnect after all, because FSX can map an analog joystick axis directly onto camera angles along the X, Y and Z axis. Not sure whether head *position* could be mapped though.I might publish the C# source code and a short HOWTO set up guide, for those who feel inclined to try it out.